New PrimoCache user

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
MaXimus
Level 3
Level 3

New PrimoCache user

Post by MaXimus »

I have two 1 TB Samsung 840 EVOs.

1st Drive: C: parition / Size 858 GB (due to over provisioning) where I installed the OS + Games

2nd Drive: D: partition / Size 858 GB (due to over provisioning) where I have my documents + music + videos + etc

I have previously enabled RAPID mode in Samsung Magician but I never noticed any improvement in my system only in benchmarks which is a marketing gimmick from Samsung.

Now as a new user, please answer my questions:

1) How to setup PrimoCache and how much RAM should I allocate? by default, it chose to use 15 GB out of my 32 GB RAM (specs below)

any step by step instructions to how to go on about setting up as I saw some options that I didn't know what they do so I just let everything at default

2) Does PrimoCache improve overtime by learning how I use my system and choosing what it would cache?

3) is it true that one should install PrimoCache last as it can cripple software installations?

4) Should I enable RAPID WITH PrimoCache or leave that useless thing aside?

5) When I benchmarked my SSD, the scores sky rocketed, how was PrimoCache improving a synthetic benchmark when it was the first time I run that benchmark? it didn't even have time to cache anything?

6) I tend to format my system a lot, I hope Primo Cache doesn't restrict me to how many times I can reinstall like some programs do

7) My Samsung Magician OS Optimzation tweaks disable Superfetch, is this OK? will it interfere with how PrimoCache works?

thank you

SPECS:

ALIENWARE 18 Laptop
CPU: Intel Core i7-4800MQ CPU @ 2.70GHz (6MB Cache, up to 3.70 GHz w/ Turbo Boost)
Memory: 32 GB Kingston HyperX 1866MHz DDR3 PC3-14900 RAM
Graphics: Dual GeForce GTX 770M SLI 6 GB GDDR5 RAM + Intel HD Graphics 4600
Sound: Realtek ALC668 HD Audio
Storage: 2 x Samsung 840 EVO 1TB SSD
Screen: Dell 18.4" WLED FHD (1920 X 1080) TrueLife Display IPS 16:9 1080p [SDC4C48]
LAN: Killer Networks e2200 Gigabit Ethernet
WLAN: Broadcom BCM4352 802.11ac Wireless
MaXimus
Level 3
Level 3

Re: New PrimoCache user

Post by MaXimus »

anyone???????
Davey126
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Davey126 »

I would suggest a careful reading of the forums and online help to assist with your configuration questions. I will take the liberty of offering an opinion (based on my own experiences which may not be representative) on a few of your inquires:

Q. Does PrimoCache improve overtime by learning how I use my system and choosing what it would cache?
A. PrimoCache is not adaptive; it simply caches whatever was last read from disk. Information is retained in the cache based on a proprietary algorithm.

Q. is it true that one should install PrimoCache last as it can cripple software installations?
A. I have never heard of or experienced this problem

Q) When I benchmarked my SSD, the scores sky rocketed, how was PrimoCache improving a synthetic benchmark when it was the first time I run that benchmark? it didn't even have time to cache anything?
A) Most benchmarking programs begin by writing a large file to disk and then reading and/or rewriting the same file. Depending on how PrimoCache is configured the initial write operation could have been cached before any results were reported.

Q) My Samsung Magician OS Optimzation tweaks disable Superfetch, is this OK? will it interfere with how PrimoCache works?
A) Superfetch and PrimoCache happily coexist.
MaXimus
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MaXimus »

thanks alot Mr. Davey! I appreciate your answer