Primocache L-2 configuration issue

Found a bug? Report here
bikenski
Level 1
Level 1

Primocache L-2 configuration issue

Post by bikenski »

Installed Primocache 9.8 over version 9.1 in Windows 8. This resulted in L-2 showing as disabled. Tried to configure L-2 but it returned a message of "insufficient space" when I tried to use the entire 58690 MB that the Primocache "Manage Level-2 Storage" window had claimed to be available on the SSD. Setting the L-2 size to Max. resulted in a cache that was only a fraction of the available SSD space. The only way the L-2 cache could be configured to use all of the available SSD space was to use the Windows 8 disk management tool to delete the SSD Primocache formated volume & create a new NTFS volume with a letter identifier. Primocache could then be used to format the SSD and be configured to use all of the 58690 MB of available space.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Primocache L-2 configuration issue

Post by Support »

Did you delete the existing partition on the level-2 storage? Please note that existing partitions on a level-2 storage won't be used for a new cache task.
Bjameson
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Bjameson »

I have the same experience. Even when trying to modify an existing cache, the previously filled part of L2 is unavailable. The only way to solve this is to delete the entire cache and recreate the same cache. Only then will Primo release the previously used L2 space. When upgrading it is always wise to delete all caches and the L2 volume. Then uninstall the old version, reboot, and install the new version. That's because the cache format may (or may not) change with every new version. That's normal behaviour for most programs.
Yozzer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Yozzer »

Hi, this happened to me following a system problem after updating from 9.1 to 9.2, I did report it, but I had "fast start up" enabled, which support did not recommend, also my system is dual boot. Like you, I deleted the cache and re created OK. I then disabled "fast start up", and this 9.2 to 9.8 update worked fine. (this incident is logged on this forum a bit further down the page, as "may not be a problem" etc).

This may have nothing to do with your problem, but I thought I would post just in case it does.
bikenski
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bikenski »

support wrote:Did you delete the existing partition on the level-2 storage? Please note that existing partitions on a level-2 storage won't be used for a new cache task.
The 64 GB SSD I am using for level 2 storage is not partitioned, the entire SSD is used for level 2 caching.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

bikenski wrote:
support wrote:Did you delete the existing partition on the level-2 storage? Please note that existing partitions on a level-2 storage won't be used for a new cache task.
The 64 GB SSD I am using for level 2 storage is not partitioned, the entire SSD is used for level 2 caching.
I mean the L2 partitions in L2 storage, not the Windows partitions. Each cache task automatically creates a L2 partition in the L2 storage if L2 cache is enabled. And this L2 partition will be automatically freed when this cache task is deleted. But in some cases, these L2 partitions may not be freed. For example, you forget to delete the cache task and directly use this L2 storage/SSD as L2 cache for another computer system. In such cases, you need to manually delete existing L2 partitions by "Manage L2 Storage".