Best Config Fort Greatest Perfomance ! Topic is solved

FAQ, getting help, user experience about FancyCache
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Best Config Fort Greatest Perfomance !

Post by Support »

Well, the next versions of FancyCache and ramdisk support to use Invisible Memory at the same time. They are planned to be published at the end of this month.
RRTRACKS
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RRTRACKS »

Hello Intika,

Thanks for the answer. My problem is I only have 2 GB of free OS memory with the Windows 7 32 bit on my system. With XP I had a little over 3 with the same motherboard and memory I had upgraded from. The most likely source of this problem (2 rather than 3GB) by my guess is the video cards installed using about 1.7 GB of memory. Ram disk fixed this problem, and it was a big one, by moving the paging files from the hard drive to a ram disk. Based upon my understanding, the Fancy Cache feature set would not provide virtual RAM memory this way to my OS. Right now I have 6 GB of total RAM if I could get Fancy Cache to work with Ram Disk I would upgrade that to 8 GB of memory and use most of the settings you have listed earlier in this thread.

I am familiar with how Ram disk can assign hidden memory. Unless I am specifically told it will work that way with Fancy Cache I would rather not experiment and take even a small chance it might blow up my hard drive. I have been told getting the two programs to share hidden memory is on the “To do list”, so I can wait a bit longer, hoping it is not at the bottom of a long list.

Thanks again for the quick and informative response and all the best.

Rich

Edit - At the time this message was posted, because of not noticing the page break, I had not seen the previous message. For me being able to use IM with the two programs together is going to be a huge plus. Additional RAM will be ordered shortly, Thank You Romex Software!!!
intika
Level 9
Level 9

Post by intika »

Hi RRTRACKS...

Well explained... i could understand that you don't want to make tests on production machine... just don't forget even if fancy cache is stable for the moment it's always on beta release !

Any way... reading you i am seeing my config one year ago lol

what i can recommend you it's about the way you are using your hidden ram

i'll not loose much time to explain but just test this and let me know :

0. Test you machine speed with a timer (Reboot time/Starting time of some specific applications)

1. Set your paging file to c: with size 4GB (and remove all other paging places)
2. Remove your ram disk
3. Use all hidden memory on FC (you got 4 GB hidden if i understand)
4. Set 4 GB on FC for C: and set 15 - 60 sec deferred write ...

5. Retest the speed

6. Adjust your paging file size to have 20% free ram on while normal system using (20% free from 2 GB detected by windows... see taskmanager)

;)

have a nice day
intika
Level 9
Level 9

Post by intika »

Note : FancyCache let Ramdisk look like an amateur exploiting hidden ram lol :p
RRTRACKS
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RRTRACKS »

Initika,

Thank you for the suggestion however with Romex soon coming out with the compatibility of using hidden memory with Fancy Cache and Ram Disk together, I think I will take a pass. I have neither much knowledge nor experience with tweaking the components of the operating system, so I might tend to be a little bit too cautious.

It appears in my case your suggestion might not work well. The problem with only 2 GB of memory is once the RAM is full, the data/program instructions go to the paging file. If that is going to be the on the hard disc at any point, even with Fancy Cache being helpful later, my system is going to run like a slow fat pig. Before RAM Disk I got a taste of what that was all about, and do not want to visit that place again.

Once I am able to use hidden memory with both Fancy Cache with Ram Disk I will be trying out your recommended settings for Fancy Cache.

Thanks for the thoughts,

Rich
intika
Level 9
Level 9

Post by intika »

:)
RRTRACKS
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RRTRACKS »

I finally got my additional memory in so I am up to a total of 8 GB now. Because of past problems with my system/usage I have found 2GB for the OS to be a little slim, and thus have configured 2 GB to Primo Ramdisk (PR) for virtual memory (paging files). The remaining 4 GB of invisible memory have been configured for Fancy Cache (FC).

After a few days and about 10 hours of use, PR and FC have shared the Invisible Memory without problems. When not using my computer for lengthy periods I put it into sleep mode and usually reboot it about once a week. So far I have seen a noticeable improvement in the speed in which programs start which alone has made the time and expense of getting it working worthwhile. It will take a while longer to see all the benefits, and I am looking forward to seeing how it works out.

Thank you Romex Software for the great software, the patience with my requests for help, and Intika for your helpful suggestions.

All the Best,

Rich
intika
Level 9
Level 9

Post by intika »

Hi Rich

If i understant

you have 8 GB
- 4 for windows
- 2 Hidden For Ramdisk (PageFile)
- 2 For Fancy cache

it's cool :)
Good config...

Just one thing exploiting the ram trough ramdisk decrease the speed of the ram cause of ntfs/fat system file... cause you are not accessing the memory directly by block...

have a try by putting your Paging file on your hdd and incresing FC Ram
8 GB
4 For system
4 For fancy cache
Paging file on hdd...

it could be an interesting test ;)

cheers

intika