Exclude processes and extensions from caching

Suggestions around PrimoCache
tverweij
Level 6
Level 6

Exclude processes and extensions from caching

Post by tverweij »

I am using Primo Cache now for several years and I think this is an -almost - perfect solution. No Hyper-V server of mine is launched without Primo Cache.

What is missing, is the ability to exclude specific processes (specified by path) from caching - it won't cause new data to be cached or existing data in the cache to be replaced - Reads and writes should be direct for these processes.
This functionality is needed to exclude the backup software that is trashing the cache and causes the displayed cached percentage to be lower than it is in reality.

Another thing that is missing, is the ability to exclude files, based on extension, to be excluded from caching. Same here, reads and writes should bypass the cache entirely.
This functionality is needed to exclude hrl files (needed for Hyper-V replication) - which are also trashing the cache.

In the display, Total Read should then be split in Included Reads and Excluded reads and the Cached percentage should be calculated using the Included Reads only.
Nick7
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Exclude processes and extensions from caching

Post by Nick7 »

1) PrimoCache works on block level - thus it's unaware of files, filesystems, file extensions, etc
2) PrimoCache is layer between FS and block level, and because of this is unaware of processes accessing it

What PrimoCache needs is possibility to set 'maximum sequential' size that will be cached, and to use better algorithms than just simple LRU (for example as ZFS for L2ARC does - where it's mix of LRU and MRU).