Primo RAMDisk vs. VSuite RAMDisk vs. FancyCache

FAQ, getting help, user experience about Primo Ramdisk
arfgh
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Primo RAMDisk vs. VSuite RAMDisk vs. FancyCache

Post by arfgh »

it is a feature that free the used ram in a ramdisk that allocate it dynamically. It is a ramdisk that is able to get more ram to use and free ram when is unused. I personally think that this feature must be implemente into primo ramdisk to works with xp, because otherwise the xp users can keep with the use of vsuite ramdisk because both programs offers the same capabilities.
Last edited by arfgh on Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kevindd992002
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kevindd992002 »

Oh ok, so if I want a fixed-size RAMDISK then this feature wouldn't concern me at all, yes?
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

kevindd992002 wrote:so if I want a fixed-size RAMDISK then this feature wouldn't concern me at all, yes?
If you allocate all memory required by the ramdisk at the time of initial ramdisk creation, then you can just forget this feature.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

arfgh wrote:while i was able to try the 5.3 version, i can assure that the primo ramdisk is just the same as vsuite ramsisk. ONly if you use windows 7 you can use the free dinamic ram automatically, but this feature dont works with windows xp for example.
Not exactly. We have totally re-designed the core components of VSuite Ramdisk. Compared with VSuite Ramdisk, Primo Ramdisk brings greater access performance, quicker memory allocation and some new features.
kevindd992002
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kevindd992002 »

support wrote:
kevindd992002 wrote:so if I want a fixed-size RAMDISK then this feature wouldn't concern me at all, yes?
If you allocate all memory required by the ramdisk at the time of initial ramdisk creation, then you can just forget this feature.
But if I set a "fixed" RAMDisk size, then obviously that feature isn't enabled, right? Or will it still dynamically increase the RAMDisk size if needed?
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

kevindd992002 wrote:But if I set a "fixed" RAMDisk size, then obviously that feature isn't enabled, right? Or will it still dynamically increase the RAMDisk size if needed?
It does not refer to "fixed" disk size. The disk size is always fixed. Let's say you create a 4GB ramdisk. By default, 4GB memory will be allocated from the system available memory. But if you enable the "dynamic memory management" feature, then at the time of ramdisk creation, there may be only 4MB memory is allocated. But the ramdisk size is still 4GB. When you copy data to this ramdisk, it will automatically request memory allocations when current allocated memory amount is not enough for the new added data.

For more details, please see
http://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/prim ... ement.html
kevindd992002
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kevindd992002 »

support wrote:
kevindd992002 wrote:But if I set a "fixed" RAMDisk size, then obviously that feature isn't enabled, right? Or will it still dynamically increase the RAMDisk size if needed?
It does not refer to "fixed" disk size. The disk size is always fixed. Let's say you create a 4GB ramdisk. By default, 4GB memory will be allocated from the system available memory. But if you enable the "dynamic memory management" feature, then at the time of ramdisk creation, there may be only 4MB memory is allocated. But the ramdisk size is still 4GB. When you copy data to this ramdisk, it will automatically request memory allocations when current allocated memory amount is not enough for the new added data.

For more details, please see
http://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/prim ... ement.html
Oh ok, thanks for the explanation. So practically, you're setting the "limit" of allowable memory allocation of the program? But even if only 4MB is used (allocated) the program will save a 4GB image file if I choose to save the contents of the RAMDisk?
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Well, I am not sure if I express it clearly. Let's take a 4GB ramdisk (without image file associated) as an example. Firstly, when it is just created, it only request 4MB memory from the system to hold the basic data of the ramdisk itself (such as file system structure data). Later assume that you copy a 100MB file to this ramdisk, the ramdisk will then request 100MB or more memory to store this 100MB file.
If "Dynamic Memory Allocation" is not enabled, the ramdisk will allocate 4GB memory (full-scale disk size) from the system when it is just created. Later you copy files to the ramdisk, it will not allocate memory again since all memory requried has already been allocated.

The things become complicated when an image file is associated to the ramdisk. When loading the image file data to the ramdisk, ramdisk have to allocate the memory to hold these data. So usually the image file feature will remove the effects of "Dynamic Memory Allocation" feature, unless you enable the "Delay Load" option for the image file loading.
kevindd992002
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kevindd992002 »

support wrote:Well, I am not sure if I express it clearly. Let's take a 4GB ramdisk (without image file associated) as an example. Firstly, when it is just created, it only request 4MB memory from the system to hold the basic data of the ramdisk itself (such as file system structure data). Later assume that you copy a 100MB file to this ramdisk, the ramdisk will then request 100MB or more memory to store this 100MB file.
If "Dynamic Memory Allocation" is not enabled, the ramdisk will allocate 4GB memory (full-scale disk size) from the system when it is just created. Later you copy files to the ramdisk, it will not allocate memory again since all memory requried has already been allocated.

The things become complicated when an image file is associated to the ramdisk. When loading the image file data to the ramdisk, ramdisk have to allocate the memory to hold these data. So usually the image file feature will remove the effects of "Dynamic Memory Allocation" feature, unless you enable the "Delay Load" option for the image file loading.
I think I get what you mean. So for the same example you stated above, what if you copy a 5GB file in that same RAMDisk? If I understand correctly, that won't be possible since you just created a 4GB RAMDisk even though you have DMM enabled, right? So if you look at it practically, you are setting the limit of the RAMDisk to 4GB but it will only allocate memory "when needed" and "up to 4GB only", correct?

Hmmm, so every time I use an image file the features of DMM won't have any effect even though the settings of that image file sets DMM to be enabled? Won't it release memory allocation if not needed?
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

kevindd992002 wrote:I think I get what you mean. So for the same example you stated above, what if you copy a 5GB file in that same RAMDisk? If I understand correctly, that won't be possible since you just created a 4GB RAMDisk even though you have DMM enabled, right? So if you look at it practically, you are setting the limit of the RAMDisk to 4GB but it will only allocate memory "when needed" and "up to 4GB only", correct?
Yes, exactly.
kevindd992002 wrote:so every time I use an image file the features of DMM won't have any effect even though the settings of that image file sets DMM to be enabled? Won't it release memory allocation if not needed?
Well, the program is still able to release memory even when the image file enabled. (Win7/2008R2 or newer, NTFS file system).