create a ramdisk

FAQ, getting help, user experience about Primo Ramdisk
minaxiniya
Level 1
Level 1

create a ramdisk

Post by minaxiniya »

Is there a way I can create a ramdisk that uses my video cards ram and not normal ram that I can then use to create a page file on? I am still using XP and would very much like to know if this can be done.
Last edited by minaxiniya on Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
InquiringMind
Level SS
Level SS

Re: create a ramdisk

Post by InquiringMind »

Theoretically possible, but rather pointless for most people. Even the top-end video cards currently "only" have 6GB RAM (with 512MB-1GB being more typical) and anyone with such a card should be keeping that memory reserved for gaming use. As video memory costs more than system memory and has a slower access speed (due to the graphics card interface, PCI-E almost universally now) it makes little sense for Primo (or any other ramdisk software) to go to the effort of using it.

If you're using XP (32-bit presumably?) then the best option is using invisible memory (anything above 3.25GB if your system has that much memory) which Primo should be able to access on most recent motherboards. However test that it works on your system first - if it doesn't there are 3 alternative products that might (since they're competition they can't be discussed here).