New to Primocache and wondering if my settings are correct for a game cache?

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
NefariousLegion
Level 1
Level 1

New to Primocache and wondering if my settings are correct for a game cache?

Post by NefariousLegion »

Hi All,
I'm new to Primocache and am using it to cache games. I have a 4TB HDD with the games installed on it and a 1TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD set up as the L2 cache drive. I'm just wondering if I've done the settings correct/well or if there is things I should change? Also is an L1 cache of any use for my scenario? I do have 32GB of RAM so I can definitely spare some for an L1 cache if it benefits me.

My specs:
Ryzen 7 3700x
32GB 3600MHz RAM
RTX 2070 Super
4TB HDD for games, 1TB SSD for caching and 1TB NVME SSD boot drive
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (346.95 KiB) Viewed 2638 times
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: New to Primocache and wondering if my settings are correct for a game cache?

Post by Support »

I think your configuration is good. If G drive doesn't store important data, you may increase the defer-write to 30s since you use 6GB L1 cache. This may improve the write performance.
NefariousLegion
Level 1
Level 1

Re: New to Primocache and wondering if my settings are correct for a game cache?

Post by NefariousLegion »

Support wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:48 am I think your configuration is good. If G drive doesn't store important data, you may increase the defer-write to 30s since you use 6GB L1 cache. This may improve the write performance.
Okay thank you. G drive just stores games and there save files. Nothing else. To be honest I wasn't even sure if an L1 cache was even necessary for my use case?
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

You enabled Defer-Write so L1 is useful for write caching. L2 is set by default to cache read-data only in order to avoid too much write wear on the L2 SSD device. If L1 is not set, then Defer-Write is actually off.