System seems sluggish with some apps when returning from Sleep Hibernate

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
BonzaiDuck
Level 7
Level 7

System seems sluggish with some apps when returning from Sleep Hibernate

Post by BonzaiDuck »

I always enjoy returning to this community forum site. It appears that I started a thread a few years ago that continues -- the "something towards a sticky . . . " thread. There is so much stuff on that thread from other people, I need to study it -- I'll learn something.

This is a casual inquiry in hopes someone will know something helpful. I have a lot on my plate -- caring for two disabled relatives, "sheltering in" through the COVID pandemic, keeping up my vegetable garden and our two vehicles. I'm getting old. There's a script-line from the Coen brothers' film "No Country For Old Men" -- an old lawman in a wheel-chair says near the end of the movie: "More is goin' out the door every day, and you jus' want to get a tourniquet on it . . . "

This Skylake-turned-Kaby-Lake system is the best I ever built or ever used -- five-year-old technology. I did something stupid in January, 2021. I was charging a cannabis vaping-pen on a USB port (do not do this!) So-Cal has Santa Ana winds at certain times, and the humidity drops to nothing. I was shuffling around on my wool carpet, and figured the vaping-pen was charged, so I reached for it. "Zap!" A static-charge release, and my motherboard USB controller died. Fixed that. Perfect ever since.

I try and assure that the Hibernation and Sleep functions work properly. They do, but I've noticed certain things about system performance when the system returns from sleep/hibernate. I'm using PrimoCache for 16GB of L1 and a 256 GB NVME L2.

When I return from Sleep/Hibernation, sometimes the software performance on the screen seems sluggish. My Quicken data files are stored on my networked server; sometimes, the drop-down boxes in my Windows Outlook are slow to respond to mouse-clicks. If I get impatient, I just close everything and restart the computer.

I can't tell if this is something related to PrimoCache, to ethernet-controller settings, Windows settings or something else. It is not any sort of hardware problem that I can imagine. I've posted this here, and will probably post the same inquiry at Anandtech forums. "Networking"? "Windows"? I can't be sure where it belongs.

Thank you.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: System seems sluggish with some apps when returning from Sleep Hibernate

Post by Support »

Hello BonzaiDuck,

Perhaps you may disable PrimoCache caching and then check if the problem still exist or not.
BonzaiDuck
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BonzaiDuck »

I might do that also, but I reviewed the cache settings for my 2TB SATA SSD and an HDD spinner. "Restore at Windows Boot" was not checked for these. They have an NVME L2 and 8GB of RAM L1. The boot NVME has L1 of 8GB, with the "Restore" checked. For some programs and files, I have them stored to the SSD and spinner -- that is, the spinner only stores data files, but I have a "Program Files" directory on the SSD as well as the boot NVME.

I'm going to check more closely with the three applications "Outlook", "PaperPort" and "Quicken". Quicken seems to respond quickly now.

I think all this depends on where program files and data files are stored.

I can disable the PrimoCache, but isn't there a "Pause" feature so I don't have to clear the caches? Wouldn't that do the trick?
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

BonzaiDuck wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:35 am I can disable the PrimoCache, but isn't there a "Pause" feature so I don't have to clear the caches? Wouldn't that do the trick?
When pause the cache task, PrimoCache still needs to filter the data and update existing cached data if these data has been modified. Of course, you may try the pause first, if the problem still exists, then remove the cache (this will clear your existing cached data) and try again.
BonzaiDuck
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BonzaiDuck »

I finally got around to trying the "pause" cache function.

This is just one experimental trial with "Hibernate", but it seems to work.

It's understandable that if certain programs' data-files are stored on my server upstairs, I have to close and then re-open those files. For Quicken 2017, it means closing the application and re-opening. Otherwise, changing a transaction will provoke a "record damaged" error message. It may mean also closing PaperPort and re-opening that. But these programs will always re-open to what they had shown before the hibernation. No sluggishness, though. If I have a PDF opened through PaperPort with my PDF viewer, the viewer will tell me the connection is lost and asks to re-connect. No problem with that, either.

I just also discovered something about 11th-gen-Intel laptop memory. If you ordered a system with 32GB RAM spec, they only give you a single 32GB stick as opposed to dual-channel, and your memory may run at a speed between 2133 and 2400. Not exactly stellar RAM speeds, even if the Command-Rate is set to 1 instead of the expected setting of 2. I suppose laptops are built to a different and lower standard.

This showed up when I installed a PrimoCache license for the subject laptop (LG Gram 17), and found that the boost with L1 caching for the SK Hynix NVME raised the speed to only about 7,000 MB/s as opposed to 12,000 using Anvil Storage benchmark -- the latter speed typical for my best desktop PC (with DDR4-3200 2x16GB). It's still a nice performance boost for the laptop, even so.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Thank you for your follow-up and share your results to us! We'll check it and may ask you for additional information later.
BonzaiDuck wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:17 pm found that the boost with L1 caching for the SK Hynix NVME raised the speed to only about 7,000 MB/s as opposed to 12,000 using Anvil Storage benchmark
Yes, dual-channel RAM is faster than single-channel, especially in scenarios which involves a lot of memory transactions.