L1 read cache directly to L2. Topic is solved

Suggestions around PrimoCache
Fearmazter
Level 1
Level 1

L1 read cache directly to L2.

Post by Fearmazter »

Hi there,

I was wondering if is possible, on the case of the read cache is active on L1 and L2, to write uncached data from L1 directly to L2?
This would eliminate the need to read it again from the HDD when writing the cache.

Love the product by the way!
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: L1 read cache directly to L2.

Post by Support »

Currently in most cases when L2 is sufficient, it caches all data that were read. That is, read data cached in L1 usually are also cached in L2. So there is no need to transfer L1 data to L2 when L1 data is discarded.
Primo Ramdisk | PrimoCache
Romex Software Support
Nick7
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Nick7 »

I guess you misunderstood what he meant.
Currently, when reading file it's being cached in L1. If file is bigger than L1, parts of it get pushed out (LRU algorithm).
L2 cache is populated with that same data LATER, when there is no/low disk activity by reading that same data again from HDD. So whole data is read again.
What he suggests (and what I did quite a while ago) is - when data needs to be pushed out of L1, write it to L2, so there is no need to read same data twice.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Nick7 wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:19 pm
What he suggests (and what I did quite a while ago) is - when data needs to be pushed out of L1, write it to L2, so there is no need to read same data twice.
We fully understand your request. However, this brings performance penalty to active requests. So we don't plan to implement this. However, we will let L2 gathering data from L1 cache instead of source disk, if data has been cached by L1. Currently L2 always gathers data from disks even data has been in L1.
Primo Ramdisk | PrimoCache
Romex Software Support