M.2 NVME on Haswell L2 Cache possible? Topic is solved

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
Boomhaur
Level 1
Level 1

M.2 NVME on Haswell L2 Cache possible?

Post by Boomhaur »

I don't have the drive yet as I'm awaiting a 1tb replacement for my wife than I get to salvage the 256gb M.2 NVME drive so I can't test it yet. I know M.2 is not natively supported for booting on my current motherboard. Though I know it is supported by Windows so it can be used for storage. Though it seems Primocache boots alongside Windows and speeds up the boot process so does anyone know if it will work for me?

The drive will be used with a M.2 to PCIE adapter, and used to cache my primary boot drive which is a 2tb Firecuda. The so called hybrid drive is close to performance to my standard 2tb Barracuda used a storage, 8gb SSD cache just isn't enough for it.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: M.2 NVME on Haswell L2 Cache possible?

Post by Support »

Yes, this is feasible.
janusz521
Level 5
Level 5

Post by janusz521 »

I am currently using a NVME SSD disk in an external enclosure connected through USB 3.0 for L2 cache and the perception of Windows boot is on pair with native booting from a SSD. Just make sure that the size of the logical sector of your NVME drive is 512 bytes as it seems that PrimoCache in either 3.2.0 or 4.0.1 version does not support 4Kn drives for L2.
Boomhaur
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Boomhaur »

Thank you for the help from the both of you. I’m happy to hear it should be viable and the heads up on what I may need to do.