Does Volatile Cache Contents flush *all* L2 data or only Defer write data?

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
COOKIEMNSTR
Level 1
Level 1

Does Volatile Cache Contents flush *all* L2 data or only Defer write data?

Post by COOKIEMNSTR »

Question is the title :arrow: Does turning on "Volatile cache contents" force clear the L2 cache read AND write data (essentially emptying the L2 every reboot) OR is it only flushing the Defer-Write data from cache to the source disk?

Asking because I am setting up a dual boot system where the 10tb HDD is cached in L2 mode on the primary windows install with defer-write, but when I dual-boot into the second OS, the 5TB will be accessed from time to time but the L2 cache nvme should be completely untouched.

I would prefer the behaviour to flush any leftover defer-write data that has not been written already at shutdown, but leave the read portion of the cache there between reboots.

Thanks! :)
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Does Volatile Cache Contents flush *all* L2 data or only Defer write data?

Post by Support »

I'm sorry for the late reply. Regarding your question, this option has nothing to do with flushing deferred write-data. All deferred write-data will be flushed at the shutdown phase. This option is to reset/empty the whole L2 cache at the bootup phase.
In your case, if the 10TB HDD is not touched in your second OS, you may not check this option.