Script to Reset Cache Content For Custom or All Volumes

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
Widdershins
Level 4
Level 4

Script to Reset Cache Content For Custom or All Volumes

Post by Widdershins »

My hats off to you guys at Romex for PrimoCache. Fantastic job!

I've licensed it for a few of our units. The volumes I have it L1 caching are also volumes that we have to do daily image backups of. Our image backups are scripted to run in the middle of the night. As expected the image backups cause all blocks of the volume to be cached which results in low cache hit rates later during normal workday I/O.

Does your API allow for a windows batch script or PowerShell script to reset cache content for specific volumes or all volumes?

I would schedule the batch script to run via Windows task scheduler before the start of the workday and our cache hit rates would be as intended.
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Script to Reset Cache Content For Custom or All Volumes

Post by Jaga »

Here's what I use with the Primocache command line utility (rxpcc.exe) when I fire off either a Full or Differential backup with Macrium Reflect. It's just a simple batch file that kicks off via the Windows Scheduler.

Code: Select all

rxpcc pause -a -s
timeout 10
cd "C:\Program Files\Macrium\Reflect"
Reflect.exe -e -w "C:\Users\username\Documents\Reflect\My Backup.xml" -full
timeout 10
rxpcc resume -a -s
timeout 5
It ensures the cache content stays in the cache.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

I think you are talking about to keep the cache content, not to reset the content. You may also see the following topic.
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=4738
Widdershins
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Widdershins »

@jaga Stellar. Thank you.

I also found the CLI finally.
http://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/prim ... rface.html

@support Thanks for sharing that as well. Unfortunately in my instance allowing a detection tool to handle the pause/resume I don't think is a good fit because I have 10G fiber cards in my units and backup storage that also goes that fast. So even if I set it to check every 10 seconds in that 10 seconds 10GB of unwanted data could be cached.