Great program and batch/program to cache a folder!

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
robnitro
Level 3
Level 3

Great program and batch/program to cache a folder!

Post by robnitro »

I've been playing a lot of games and some use modded files which are huge, like Shift 2 unleashed folder is 24 gigs... NTFS compressed it is 14.4 GB!
Anyway noticed that the cache reported around 15 GB written to L2 cache, so wow, it just writes the compressed data blocks... cool!

Intel SRT was ok but a defrag seemed to clear out the cache, perhaps because it uses LRU???
I also disliked it because it didn't tell me what was up. Primocache even shows the actual access of the SSD, so I can tell that the L2 is being used with HD sentinel or Resource Monitor.

IS THERE A WAY TO STOP THE GUI FROM SHOWING THE CACHE HIT RATE GRAPH? IT IS DISTRACTING!
Also, too bad we can't disable the windows file cache, but I also included a file that limits the cache (SetSystemFileCacheSizeX64.exe) for windows 7 x64. For x86, it says that they limit it to 1GB already... so no need to set this.
Windows can still use more memory for its cache but it will be less greedy about it.
I copy this file to C:\ and schedule it to run at startup using task scheduler, highest privileges ( SetSystemFileCacheSizeX64.exe 64 256 ).
I also included a batch file to set those settings, but you can also do it with a shortcut.
If you use startup, it will give you an admin prompt due to UAC.

I also attached a file and batch file that uses a simple program, md4sum (lowest cpu use of all crc/md calcs) to cause caching to write the files to L2 cache. Copy the 2 files to the folder that you want to cache, and run the 1-cacherefresh.bat file to cause it to be cached!
Just make sure to not do this while you are gaming or doing other work because it will hog up IO.
See how pass 1 takes longer than pass 2! Run it again if you want to make it more frequently accessed for LFU-R
Attachments
1-cacherefresh-and-setsystemfilecachesize.zip
Cache a folder with batch file
Limit x64 windows system cache size
(5.66 KiB) Downloaded 80 times
robnitro
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Great program and batch/program to cache a folder!

Post by robnitro »

I went back to RST and tried expresscache sw, they both really stink when it comes to real life games.
Primocache does better....

Just a FYI, even if you have a z68, you shouldn't use intel's crappy driver, it seems to not want to cache big game files... slow load times compared to primo!
robnitro
Level 3
Level 3

Post by robnitro »

Thanks, great sw so far, the intel z8 rapid storage caching is slower in some games that use big files.... I just tried and was dissapointed compared to primo.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Thank you very much for your testing and feedback!
robnitro
Level 3
Level 3

Post by robnitro »

Only problem, but I suppose every l2 caching does this:
Unclean shutdown wipes the l2 cache to unused... has to fill up again!
InquiringMind
Level SS
Level SS

Post by InquiringMind »

Spam post reported
InquiringMind
Level SS
Level SS

Post by InquiringMind »

Spam post by daxionglu reported