Windows 8 cache vs PrimoCache

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
RAMbo
Level 6
Level 6

Windows 8 cache vs PrimoCache

Post by RAMbo »

Does PrimoCache turn of Windows 8 cache?
If not I can imagine that it won't give optimum performance. I can imagine it takes more RAM buffers, more CPU power to manage two caches and clashing algorithms.
If that's true is it possible to switch of Windows cache?
dustyny
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Windows 8 cache vs PrimoCache

Post by dustyny »

RAMbo,

You have many layers of caching that occur on every layer of the OS stack, these things work together not against each other. Windows caching is a part of the memory management system and it works in an entirely different way then PrimoCache.
People often get this confused, but these caches all work differently and are all necessary for the proper operation of the OS.

-Dustin
InquiringMind
Level SS
Level SS

Re: Windows 8 cache vs PrimoCache

Post by InquiringMind »

Windows cache maximum size can be adjusted (see MSDN: Memory Management Registry Keys for details, though they may be 32-bit OS specific) so it may be possible to reduce (though apparently not remove) it. I've not (yet) experimented with this so can't offer any feedback.

However RAMbo is right to point out there will be duplication of data in memory (and this applies with Ramdisks, which will also be cached). However Windows' internal cache should be reallocated if other programs need the memory it uses, so the downsides should be minimal.