Right Click "Add to cache"

Report bugs or suggestions around FancyCache
nvn
Level 3
Level 3

Right Click "Add to cache"

Post by nvn »

Add a right click for files and folders "add to cache". With long write defer this basically makes FC a dynamic RAM drive.

I find myself copy => paste => delete (with write defer) from time to time.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Right Click "Add to cache"

Post by Support »

Sorry for missing reply on this post.

Thank you for your suggestions.
nvn
Level 3
Level 3

Post by nvn »

No problem. It was simple enough for me to create a tool to do add dir/files to cache. The tool just pretends to read all of the folders/files effectively adding them to cache.
MrCache
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MrCache »

nvn wrote:Add a right click for files and folders "add to cache". With long write defer this basically makes FC a dynamic RAM drive.
I second this request. This would make it easy to prioritize specific applications on demand. Could see usefulness for this for me as a gamer, caching up that disk intense mmo! :D
nvn
Level 3
Level 3

Post by nvn »

Coincidentally, that is what i used it for :)

I guess I can share it: http://www.2shared.com/file/hfwx--DV/AddToCache.html includes AutoIT source code as well as compiled exe. Use on you own risk.
webtax
Level 1
Level 1

Post by webtax »

challenge accepted
NickJ
Level 3
Level 3

Post by NickJ »

An "Add to cache" feature, along with a fully fleshed out cache manager for manually chosen data could be interesting. If this was actually implemented, I can see the following features being useful:

GUI that shows Files / Folders chosen for manual caching (via browser and optional context menu)
Amount of memory that views these files as priority
- With 100 MB selected and 200 MB of cache, leftover cache would be used elsewhere
- With 100 MB selected and 50 MB of cache, the 50 MB of cache would be used exclusively for these files/folders
Cache file grouping algorithm (if A,B,C are always used together, if any of them are loaded, all of them are loaded silently in the background.)
Automatically load after bootup (i.e. X minutes after bootup load these into cache)
Persist files in cache (i.e. as per persisting cache threads, setting to keep these files in SSD cache after reboot independent of regular disk)

That being said, as shown above, workarounds are relatively easy until this is implemented, and I'm not worried about it as a priority. I'd far rather see persistent SSD caching that's power failure safe first (which then makes this feature more interesting too).