understanding fancy cache's thinking

FAQ, getting help, user experience about FancyCache
bwana
Level 2
Level 2

understanding fancy cache's thinking

Post by bwana »

As I understand fancy cache, it uses ram as an intermediary to store frequently used pieces of data, instead of allowing direct writes to the hard disk (or ssd). right?

so, how does it know what to put into ram? and what to write to the disk (or ssd)? for example, if i want my browser caches to be kept in ram, how does fancy cache know to do this?

I'm sorry if I am missing the point, but it seems that fancy cache is acting like a smart ram disk, no?
caqde
Level 2
Level 2

Re: understanding fancy cache's thinking

Post by caqde »

From my understanding it depends on your usage and what setting you selected.

LFU -> Least Frequently Used. Based on this I am assuming that as data is loading from that drive/partition that you selected to cache it will move all the data into the cache until it is filled marking them based on their usage. When it is completely filled it will remove the data with the least usage first to allow for the new data to be cached.

LRU -> Least Recently Used. Just like LRU this one will tag the data as it is moved in but this time with a time stamp of the last usage and will remove the data with the oldest access date on it first to allow new data to be cached.

As far as browser cache goes. It will only cache the data from the browser that is being used. So if the browser decides to load that data Fancycache will cache it. Otherwise it won't.