Invisible Memory

FAQ, getting help, user experience about VSuite Ramdisk
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Invisible Memory

Post by Support »

Hi,

At first you may try the latest version 1.18.

Is there some similar software which also manage the Invisible Memory installed?

Also you may refer to http://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/vsui ... serve.html
check the "IM Reservation" section about BIOS settings.

If the problem still exists, you may try to use 1GB IM first to check if it helps.
luke123
Level 3
Level 3

Post by luke123 »

Isn't the problem caused by kalua using the VSuite Ramdisk free edition with 6GB RAM?
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

No, the free edition only limits the size of a single ramdisk and the total size of memory used by the VSuite Ramdisk program, it doesn't limit the total memory installed on the system.
luke123 wrote:Isn't the problem caused by kalua using the VSuite Ramdisk free edition with 6GB RAM?
luke123
Level 3
Level 3

Post by luke123 »

OK. Good point.

Does this mean that VSuite Ramdisk free edition can utilize unmanaged RAM above 4GB up to 8GB?
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Yes, it should be. you may refer to
http://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/vsui ... mdisk-size
kalua
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kalua »

I tried changing the ramdisk for temp files to 800MB down from 2GB, and it is still not stable. If I remove the RAM so there is only 4GB, everything is stable again.

The instability seems to be tied to heavy usage... sitting idle it seems fine. Large bursts of IO or running a benchmark cause a reboot.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Is it possible that the problem is caused by the incompatible physical RAM bar? Actually we have the cases that the hardware is not good or compatible.
kalua
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kalua »

I doubt it. I ram several passes of memtest overnight, and it was fine. I also swapped banks.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

mmm...quite strange...
kalua
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kalua »

I may have a solution..... this could be a BIOS bug from Gigabyte.

I noticed that benchmarking a drive, had no problems, but benchmarking the VSuite ramdisk would hang. Benchmarking the new SSD also caused a hang. I also noticed 2 of the hangs I had were when I was doing some database work that was I/O intensive to the IM ramdisk.

One of the SSD forums mentioned several mobo manufacturers have had issues with the high-speed PCIe SSDs that took BIOS upgrades to correct. I suspect that something like a timing bug in the bus may have been OK at normal data rates, but when hit with sustained high datarates it choked.

So I upgraded the BIOS on the mobo, and put the VSuite ramdisk back into IM.... so far (half a day) no hangs or reboots. All the benchmarks run on the VSuite ramdisk without any issues now.