Invisible Memory

FAQ, getting help, user experience about VSuite Ramdisk
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Invisible Memory

Post by Support »

Fixed.

Will include this fix in the next release.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

released version 4.2.

SCSI Ramdisk can supports ReadyBoost now.

But DirectIo Ramdisk cannot, because Windows don't think it is a physical disk.
sigi
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sigi »

Thanks for the fix.

I installed the new version and I am happy to report that ReadyBoost now works with the ramdisk using only invisible memory.
I have not done any measurements to determine whether the reactivity or performance of my laptop has really improved.

Two additional questions:
- I use the NTFS file system and 4096 as cluster size; would other values do any better?
- does the IM Hibernation function maintain the contents of the ramdisk across a re-boot?

Thanks again for your help.

PS: I bought my license yesterday.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Hi sigi,

Normally users don't need to set the cluster size. This option is for expert users which is really familiar with the file system. You may refer to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_cluster.

IM Hibernation function generates a file named "imhiber.sys" on c drive in oder to storing data from IM to the harddisk when entering the hibernation state. And this file will be loaded and restore data to IM during resume. The file is not used across a reboot. However the content of the file is not cleared.

Please let us know if you have any issue.
sigi
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sigi »

Sorry to inform you that ReadyBoost does not work well with the ramdisk.

Every so often, without me doing anything special, my computer freezes up and the task manager shows that over 50% of my Core 2 Duo 5450 CPU is used by a task called "System – NT Kernel & System".
This lasts about 10 seconds before the CPU becomes idle again.

It goes without saying that this phenomenon does never occur when ReadyBoost is not on the ramdisk.

Can you do anything about that?
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Hi sigi,

Thank you very much for your feedback.

Are there any applications running when you see the 50% CPU load from the task manager? For eg. IE/Firefox or others. And Are there any anti-virus/monitor software installed? If yes, what are they? Becasue normally antivirus programs moniter/scan the files on disks. This information may help us replicate the problem. And we appreciate any other additional information provided.

We will arrange to verify the problem soon. Thank you.
sigi
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sigi »

Hello,
to help you with your debug, I removed all active programs, I even stopped my anti-virus Avast. Just "My computer".

When I ask 832MB ReadyBoost to be activated on my 1GB ramdisk, for some seconds I see from the disk activity indicator that ReadyBoost is being loaded.
But the over 50% of my Core 2 Duo 5450 CPU usage continues for another ten or so seconds after the disk activity indicator has stopped!
It is only the task called "System – NT Kernel & System", plus 1 or 2% used by the task manager.

If this happened only at this circumstance, that would not bother me.
But as indicated in my last post, it happens frequently during my normal work day, as I said, "without me doing anything special".

Best regards.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Hi sigi,

When starting the ReadyBoost, it shall be normal that CPU usage is over 50%. Because ReadyBoost service initializes caching.

Have you checked that how much free space left on your ramdisk. I remember that you redirect Windows TEMP variables and other Internet Browser temporary folders to the ramdisk. Sometimes TEMP folder requires quite much disk space, especially when you downloading files from the internet or view online videos. (It may fail to download the full files from the internet if there's no enough space on ramdisk when you redirect internet temporary folders or TEMP variables to the ramdisk.)

If possible, could you please help us do the following tests?
1) Still set ReadyBoost on the ramdisk, but reduce its size from 832MB to 400MB. Then check if the problem still exists.
2) Don't set ReadyBoost on the ramdisk, but on a usb key/usb drive/thumb-drive/usb-stick. check the result.
3) Stop the Superfetch service (Computer Management->Services->Superfetch->right click, select Stop), and check the result.
(one consumer of ReadyBoost is SuperFetch, so stopping the Superfetch may reduce the activities of ReadyBoost)

We have tried to replicate the problem, but so far we didn't get it. And could you please upload a picture of your ramdisk's settings?

with many thanks.
sigi
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sigi »

Hello,
1) I set RB on ramdisk to 400MB with same results: over 50% usage continues for another ten or so seconds after the disk activity indicator has stopped.
I plug in the Usb key: about 50% usage by "System – NT Kernel & System" during about 10 seconds.
2) I set RB to 400MB on Usb key: around 12% during load, taking of course much longer, but no particular CPU usage after the load is completed.

I will work for a while with RB on Usb key to see whether the random 50% usage occurs in this configuration "without me doing anything special".

I assume you want the test with SuperFetch stopped while having RB on ramdisk; so will do that later.
Attached my ramdisk settings.
Attachments
options.jpg
options.jpg (64.4 KiB) Viewed 7163 times
VSuite properties.jpg
VSuite properties.jpg (79.76 KiB) Viewed 7163 times
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Hi sigi,

We really appreciate your kind support.
sigi wrote:I will work for a while with RB on Usb key to see whether the random 50% usage occurs in this configuration "without me doing anything special".

That's great, we are looking forward to the result.

Another test perhaps you may try to do is changing the file system on the ramdisk from NTFS to FAT32.
(Property Mode->Select FAT32->click modify button->restart the computer to take effect)
We are not sure if this is a cause, but previously we get a case caused by it. You may refer to
http://www.romexsoftware.com/bbs/viewto ... f=21&t=380