New beta 0.3.0.0 - cannot select L2 Topic is solved

Report bugs or suggestions around FancyCache
tuleggi
Level 2
Level 2

New beta 0.3.0.0 - cannot select L2

Post by tuleggi »

Hello,

I am a curious new beta user... I am using it on a Ijtel 945 chipset with SATA1 and a SSD Vertex2E 60GB on a Windows XP laptop.

The interesting thing is that only with the Caching Strategy "Write-Only" I have better writes, otherwise I have worst writes.

I have seen something that may be a bug:
I cannot select "Enable Level-2 Cache" even with the read only strategy. Is it normal? I though I could selct it for my SSD (not for invisible memory).

If possible could you better explain the write latency? if I increase it with the benchmark I got better write results. Same if I increase the Cache size level 1...the read performance boost is gigantic, is it real or you somehow trick a bit the benchmark?

Thanks!!
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: New beta 0.3.0.0 - cannot select L2

Post by Support »

Is Volume Edition or Disk Edition installed on the computer?
L2 cache shall be allowed in your case. Can you upload the screenshoot of the program?

write latency is something like delay time. please refer to
http://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/fanc ... /help.html

benchmark tools show great performance because the data is written to the cache and read back from the cache. So it is not the trick,just reflect the cache access speed, as well as the goal of this program. Of course, if data is not in the cache, the speed is not improved. So for the cache program, cache hit rate is a very important index.
tuleggi
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tuleggi »

Thanks for the fast reply!!

I am using the Disk Edition since I have no partition on my SSD (the drive C: is the SSD where Windows XP is installed). Is that a right choice in my case?

here a screenshot of what I am using at the moment which gives good results: Image

and here a screenshot with a read/write strategy which shoudl let me select the L2 but if I click on it nothing happen (I cannot tick it): Image

Concerning the cache speed if I have well understood the more ram you have the more you can increase the cache size, is it like that? basically the benchmark tools measures the ram performance with fancyCache enable?
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Actually you can use the Volume Edition, since you have only one volume in SSD drive.

You can't use SSD as L2 cache for itself, otherwise obviously it deadlocks. To prevent this case, the program automatically grayed L2 options if no L2 devices available.
tuleggi
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tuleggi »

Yes but see the second screenshot, the L2 option is not greyed and I still cannot select it, why?
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

eh, the program check and untick it when no appropriate L2 device available. (it might not gray the option, but it prevent the tick)

PS. the images you uploaded can't be showed...
tuleggi
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tuleggi »

Ok thanks!
Now I am running the Volume version as suggested and it works great