Win 7,setup for specific programs in ramdisk

FAQ, getting help, user experience about VSuite Ramdisk
blewis999
Level 1
Level 1

Win 7,setup for specific programs in ramdisk

Post by blewis999 »

Hi
I have read through the FAQs and forums so I apologize in advance if this is an obvious answered question, but I can't find the answer.

I want to use RamDisk to run some of my compute intensive programs, ...compilers, IDE and so on. How do I go about doing that? The programs are installed by win 7 and have various registry entries pointing to C. Is there a mechanism to shadow C so that some but not all things run from RamDisk?

I can see how storing the data on a RamDisk would work but that won't give me the real performance boost as far as I can see. Also the OS disk is about 50G and I don't have that much memory to run everything from RamDisk. I have seen in the FAQs that a paging file can be in RamDisk, but my page file is 6G and I only have 6G on the whole system... so this is the part I am not sure about. So my question is what should I run from RamDisk and how do I setup the system to do so. Thanks.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Win 7,setup for specific programs in ramdisk

Post by Support »

Hi,

How much phyisical memory is installed in your computer?

In your case, I think our FancyCache program might fit you. However it is still under beta testing. You might refer to
http://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/fanc ... index.html
intika
Level 9
Level 9

Post by intika »

Hello, ...

Waiting the development of fancy cache

you can do the following :

1. Set up a ram disk at 4GB 3GB or 2GB depending on what your system is using on normal run
1.1 check task manager hinge "performance" and see how much your system is using ram like that you can see how much ram is available for ramdisk without getting the system to hang...
1.2 don't use all free ramdisk let 300mo +- free (ex : if your system is using 2.7GB / 6GB in normal run apps opened ... then you can use 3GB for ramdisk)

2. You don't need to set ramdisk to be saved to hard drive cause you will just swap on it (page file) also you don't need it to be scsi (make it "direct io" it's faster)
2.1 Create your ramdisk

(i'am translating windows name from french so indicated place could be a little different in name)

3. Go to computer right click and then properties... at you left pick last one (advanced system...) click the first button "settings" ... switch to advanced and then click modify...

4. There you can set how much page you can use and where to place the paging files... you can place all you page on the ramdisk but you have a little risk of loosing data if get blue screen...
4.1 So let 256 Mo or 512 Mo under C: to prevent crash and if you want to consult logs after a windows crash... and then set a maximum on you ramdisk...

5. Think to disable "search", "indexing", "prefetcher", and "ready boost" windows services

That's it
Tray and let us know if it's faster

Note :
if you are using hibernation don't forget to enable the option over ramdisk control pannel

Note II :
actually your system is 6GB RAM + 6GB Page File (these memory is never user at 100% at last it's used at 50% depending on what you are doing)
Tray what i suggest : so 3GB ram + 3 GB Ramdisk Pagefile + 256/512 Pagefile under C:
you will reduce your ram by 50% but tray it and you'll see
don't forget step 5 it's important (you can tray without first...)

;)

cheers
intika
Level 9
Level 9

Post by intika »

Making this will assure you that used programs are realy on ram and not on pagefile (hdd)...
if it's a notebook it will save battery...
at this time you will deal with ram all the time after lunching the softs...
after doing this there is an other tune that let you LUNCH the softs from ram it's fancy cache but it's under development... it will let you also work with registry etc. from ram...
there are other solutions but...
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Thank you, intika. :)