Paging file in Ramdisk

FAQ, getting help, user experience about VSuite Ramdisk
luke123
Level 3
Level 3

Paging file in Ramdisk

Post by luke123 »

Hi

A few questions about using a ramdisk (created with both Invisible Memory and Allocated Memory) to hold a paging file.

(1) Is it essential to "Enable Image File" and "Save at Computer Shutdown" for this ramdisk?

(2) Does a fixed size paging file provide the best performance?

(3) Can "Dynamic RAM Allocation" be used in this setup?

Look forward to your feedback, and thanks in advance!
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Paging file in Ramdisk

Post by Support »

Hi,

1) If the ramdisk is dedicated to hold a paging file, it is not necessary to enable image file.
2) You can set an initial value and a maximum value according to your normal paging file usage via performance monitor. Windows will increase the paging file size when paging file usage exceeds the initial value.
I don't think there is significant performance difference between the fixed size paging file and the increasible paging file.
I prefer the increasible paging file, because this will reduce a lot of harddisk space with a small intial value.
3) Yes, "Dynamic RAM Allocation" can be used.

PS. please disable the computer hibernation when you place the paging file to the Invisible Memory. see http://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/vsui ... g-ram.html section "IMPORTANCE" point 4.
luke123
Level 3
Level 3

Post by luke123 »

Many thanks for your detailed and helpful reply.
support wrote:I prefer the increasible paging file, because this will reduce a lot of harddisk space with a small intial value.
Do you mean this will reduce the use of RAM (esp. allocated RAM), not hard disk space?

Thanks again.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Sorry, I didn't make it clear.

I mean generally it needs to set a larger value to prevent the case of insufficient paging space if using the fixed-size paging file. For eg. assume 200MB paging space is used during normal time (this value can be found via performance monitor) and 500MB paging space in summit time.
With the increasible paging file, I can set the initial value to 300MB and the maximum value to 1GB. Thus Windows initially pre-allocates 300MB space for paging and increases the size when 300MB is not enough.
However with the fixed-size paging file, I might have to set the fixed value to 1GB because Windows won't increase the size when paging usage exceeds the fixed-value. Thus Windows always pre-allocates 1GB space. This might have a waste of space in normal time.
luke123 wrote:
support wrote:I prefer the increasible paging file, because this will reduce a lot of harddisk space with a small intial value.
Do you mean this will reduce the use of RAM (esp. allocated RAM), not hard disk space?
luke123
Level 3
Level 3

Post by luke123 »

Hi

Many thanks for your clarifications. I think I understand the issues now, with the benefit of your clear explanations.
support wrote:Sorry, I didn't make it clear.

I mean generally it needs to set a larger value to prevent the case of insufficient paging space if using the fixed-size paging file. For eg. assume 200MB paging space is used during normal time (this value can be found via performance monitor) and 500MB paging space in summit time.
With the increasible paging file, I can set the initial value to 300MB and the maximum value to 1GB. Thus Windows initially pre-allocates 300MB space for paging and increases the size when 300MB is not enough.
However with the fixed-size paging file, I might have to set the fixed value to 1GB because Windows won't increase the size when paging usage exceeds the fixed-value. Thus Windows always pre-allocates 1GB space. This might have a waste of space in normal time.
luke123 wrote: