RAM as L2 Cache For M.2 SSD

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
Barryng
Level 1
Level 1

RAM as L2 Cache For M.2 SSD

Post by Barryng »

My C: drive is a 1 TB Samsung 990 Pro NVMe M.2 SSD with only about a third of its capacity used. Would there be any consequential (meaning noticeable) gain by using a relatively large portion of the 64 GB of available RAM as an L1 cache? My thought is the RAM is much faster than the even the fast SSD I use so it might lend itself as an L1 Cache. I do not begin to need this much RAM so I would like to put it to good use but not at the expense of trying fix something that isn't really broken.

Also, if my thought about using the RAM is not really viable, am I correct in thinking that since most everything is already based on the M.2 SSD, there really isn't much gain in using a cache to make things even snappier than they already are?
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: RAM as L2 Cache For M.2 SSD

Post by Support »

I just noticed that this thread has no replies. Sorry I forgot to reply.

RAM cache still can help as RAM is much faster than the nvme SSD and it has no write wear. However you may not see noticeable difference if your drives are not heavily used in your scenario. If your drives have lots of access, for eg. for p2p downloding, RAM cache will help a lot, speeding up and reducing write wear.