Primocache & Gaming

FAQ, getting help, user experience about Primo Ramdisk
dalumberjack
Level 1
Level 1

Primocache & Gaming

Post by dalumberjack »

Hello,

Just recently playing starfield I have been getting unexplained crashes to desktop. I have done all the typica inspections from checking temps, drivers, turning off all mods, checked for critical windows errors, etc. Been this way since almost the beginning of the game.

I am now starting to wonder if its my cache setup.

I currently have a WD Black 850 NVME caching my 8TB WD Black HD full of games. The entire nvme is dedicated to caching my gaming hard drive. I wish larger nvme's were cheaper, as I have the affliction of having a lot of games installed at once, as I like to hop around between them.

Haven't had any issues before with this setup, but is there a chance with starfields high requirements regarding storage, that primocache is causing an issue?

Appreciate your time and input

cache info:
lvl 1 cache . OS memory - 32GB
lvl 2 size - Max
Storage overhead - 931.00MB TOTAL - 931.50gb
Block size - 8Kb
Stated memory overhead - 10.45GB

Specs:
Windows 11
AMD 5900x (OC)
EVGA 3090 (OC)
64 gigs of 3800mhz ram
WD Black 850 NVME used for cache
WD Black 8TB HD used for game storage
All cooled on custom loop
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Primocache & Gaming

Post by Support »

You can try to increase the block size to 64KB to reduce the memory overhead. Currently it is ~10GB which is a waste. This means cache uses about 42GB RAM, and there might be insufficient RAM for games/applications.

Please note that changing the block size will clear all cached data in L1 and L2.
Jorax
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Primocache & Gaming

Post by Jorax »

Hello,

for caching the HDD partition where my videogames are installed to speed up game levels' loading and other disk accesses during the play session I use these settings for PrimoCache, (my system has 64 GB RAM like yours)

32 GB L1 cache split like this: 27.20 GB (85% Read) 4.80 GB (15% Write)

192 GB L2 cache (100% Read). I created a partition of that size on internal SSD then assigned it to PrimoCache L2 cache

Block Size 4KB

With these settings I have 6.92 GB of memory overhead.

I also bought a license for Primo Ramdisk Professional Edition and I put the Windows 11 pagefile on it with these settings: 16 MB minimum size, 20000 MB maximum size, no pagefile on other disks.

Primo Ramdisk has these settings

20 GB Ramdisk (Direct-IO - NTFS), non-volatile, with Dynamic Memory Management enabled and leaving Compact mode unchecked.

These settings at first may seem rather RAM consuming but even playing videogames which need a high RAM usage I never run out of memory.