Suggestion: TRIM

Report bugs or suggestions around VSuite Ramdisk
muf
Level 3
Level 3

Suggestion: TRIM

Post by muf »

Since Windows 7, the OS has the ability to report deleted files at low level to the storage controller. This functionality, called the TRIM command (an extension to the SATA feature set), was developed for SSD devices.

I was thinking, this feature could be leveraged for VSuite's sparse disk mode (called "Dynamic RAM allocation"). This way, RAM disk memory usage can not only grow as files are added, but also shrink when files are deleted. This can be very useful for users who like to use a VSuite RAM disk for their temp folders.

Just a suggestion :)
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Suggestion: TRIM

Post by Support »

Hi muf,

Thank you very much for your suggestion!

Yes, TRIM command can help. However there are some limitations to use this command. Anyway we will try all possible ways. Thank you.
muf
Level 3
Level 3

Post by muf »

Hello,

Any progress with this feature? As an alternative, I was thinking a "reinitialise" function might be a helpful alternative. Let me explain what I mean.

With a temp storage only RAM disk, I can use the "Clear Content" button to quickly free RAM usage. But with an image file, "Clear Content" also clears the image! What would be useful, is when "Quick Load mode" is enabled, to have a "Reinitialise" button, that will simply deallocate all used memory, but leave the image intact. So, when files are accessed, they are loaded from the image file again.

Let's say I have a 4GB RAM disk mirrored to an image file. I put a 2GB file on it:
file_1.bin - 2GB
Free space: 2GB
Free RAM: 2GB

Now I put another 2GB file on it:
file_1.bin - 2GB
file_2.bin - 2GB
Free space: 0MB
Free RAM: 0MB (Uh oh! Better free some RAM before my system becomes unstable!)

Now if I delete file_1.bin:
file_2.bin - 2GB
Free RAM: 0MB

I press the "Reinitialise" button:
file_2.bin - 2GB
Free RAM: 4GB (file_2.bin is in the image file, but not yet loaded into RAM because of "Quick Load Mode")

I think it would be quite simple to implement, because I can already do almost the same thing by performing these actions:
- Wait until everything is flushed to disk
- Remove RAM disk
- Create RAM disk with identical settings and same image file
And voila, my RAM disk is reloaded and memory is free again. But, it's a lot of hassle to remove and then enter all the parameters again.

Thanks for reading! :)
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

well, the dynamic release feature has been implemented in the new version. This version is now under testing and will be released soon.

The feature you requested here might not be easily implemented, because when doing "reinitialize", the program can't eactly know what files are needed to remain in the image file and what files are not. Anyway we'll think of your requirements.

Thank you.
muf
Level 3
Level 3

Post by muf »

support wrote:well, the dynamic release feature has been implemented in the new version. This version is now under testing and will be released soon.

The feature you requested here might not be easily implemented, because when doing "reinitialize", the program can't eactly know what files are needed to remain in the image file and what files are not. Anyway we'll think of your requirements.

Thank you.
Awesome! Very much looking forward to upgrading to the new version. With the dynamic release function, a manual reinitialise button is not necessary (well, maybe for XP/Vista users, but not for me). The reason I wrote about it is I didn't know if the dynamic release feature was being implemented or not.

I want to mention that VSuite is fast becoming the ultimate RAM disk software as far as I'm concerned. Soon there will be nothing left to wish for! Keep up the good work and excellent customer support. :D