FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
RazvanConstantin
Level 1
Level 1

W10 striped volume caching tips/help.

Post by RazvanConstantin »

Hello,

1st timer user of Primo Cache.
Tried reading the documentation and some forum posts, but for some reason (mainly my lack of experience with the software), the results are not exactly what I expected, having many dips in speed while copying.

Setup
PrimoCache Pro v. 4.2.0/4.2.0/4
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit 22H2
CPU: AMD 5950X
RAM: 64GB
UPS: APC 2 kW ( can keep the system up at full tilt for at least one hour )
HDD to be cached : 4 X Seagate Ironwolf NAS 16 TB 7200 rpm in one striped partition (Disk Management)
1.png
1.png (9.8 KiB) Viewed 319 times
Drive D size: 58.2 TB
Bytes Per Cluster : 16384
SSD for cache: 1 x Corsair MP600 PRO nvme 2 TB ( ~ 7GB/s read and write )
I am working with many files ~2GB in size.
For example, in one folder I usualy have 20-30 files, each ~2 GB. So around 60 GB in one copy.
I need to copy that folder to another location on the same striped volume (Drive D) for further processing. I cannot move the files from the original location.
After I process the files within the folder, I need to copy it to a NAS via 10 Gbps link.

Simple workflow:
1. I receive 30 files. Size 60 GB via network, stored on Drive D
2. I copy (not move) the files to another folder on the same volume for further processing.
3. I copy the processed files to a NAS via 10 Gbps link.

I understand I cannot cache everything from the striped (Drive D) on a small 2 TB SSD cache.
I just need the most recently accessed and cached files to be transferred as fast as possible with this setup, if possible, without the use of system RAM or by using it as little as possible.

My current PrimoCache settings are:
settings.jpg
settings.jpg (191.06 KiB) Viewed 319 times
Please help me out with a link to a suitable configuration for PrimoCache Pro that can help me achieve the above mentioned requirements.
Any tips as to what I did horribly wrong in my settings would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: W10 striped volume caching tips/help.

Post by Support »

You need to enable the option "Flush L1 Cache to L2 Cache" in the advanced Defer-Write settings for your scenario.
And INFINITE latency is not recommended. Please see the following document on how to tune Defer-Write parameters.
https://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/pri ... write.html