Prefetch Last Cache, how it works? Topic is solved

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
l0rdraiden
Level 3
Level 3

Prefetch Last Cache, how it works?

Post by l0rdraiden »

This is the definition
Prefetch Last Cache: If this option is checked, PrimoCache will automatically load the last cached data into the L1 cache after the computer restarts, thereby improving the speed of the first data read. This option has no effect on the L2 cache, because the L2 cache is persistent, and the cached data still exists after restart.

But how it works? when I shutdown the computer the cache (L1 RAM) is written to the Drive where the installation folder of primocache is and then loaded in the next boot? Note that I'm not using L2 Cache. Or this requires L2 Cache, becasue it will be there where the L1 cache will be written at shutdown?
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Prefetch Last Cache, how it works?

Post by Support »

It only saves index information, not real data. No L2 is required.
l0rdraiden
Level 3
Level 3

Post by l0rdraiden »

Support wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:50 am It only saves index information, not real data. No L2 is required.
But what happens when I boot the computer?
Will primocache start to use that index from the SSD to load the content in the RAM?
Will primocache wait to the content to be naturally read by demand and then since it was in the index it will have priority to be kept?

If it the the first option loading 12GB to the ram reading the SSD... I'm worried about the performance impact.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

l0rdraiden wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:54 pm Will primocache start to use that index from the SSD to load the content in the RAM?
Yes, PrimoCache will prefetch data from source disk to L1 cache according to the index information. This will be done at background.