Advice for users about Windows memory compression

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
RobF99
Level 8
Level 8

Advice for users about Windows memory compression

Post by RobF99 »

I would like to give PrimoCache users some advice about a Windows 10 and 11 feature that, depending upon your PrimoCache configuration, is unnecessary. In fact, if this feature is active it will actually reduce your performance by causing occasional brief lags as you use your PC. That item is Windows memory compression.

Windows memory compression is a feature that was implemented to improve system performance with traditional hard drives that, when available memory calls for data to be paged to the drive, will instead compress some memory content because it is more efficient do to so and creates a better user experience.

While it might be more efficient than writing to a traditional hard drive, it will not be more efficient than writing to most SSDs, and it is impossible that it would be more efficient than L1 cache.

This is important if your virtual memory paging file is on a drive that is cached by PrimoCache. Unless you have changed your paging file setting it most likely set to C: drive, and therefore most likely being cached by PrimoCache, L1 and L2.

Therefore, if Memory Compression is active, instead of Windows paging data, which will be completely transparent to your user experience if that write goes to L1, Windows will compress some memory contents. This will use CPU resources that would otherwise not have been used. As a user you will perceive a lag in your system as Windows compresses the data.

So my advice is to turn off Windows Memory compression, because it is enabled by default.

To disable Memory Compression:

1. Run Powershell as Administrator
2. Enter the command: Disable-MMAgent -mc
3. Restart your computer

You’re Welcome! :)

If you ever want to re-enable Memory Compression:

1. Run Powershell as Administrator
2. Enter the command: Enable-MMAgent -mc
3. Restart your computer
TomB
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Advice for users about Windows memory compression

Post by TomB »

Very good, RobF99! Thank you very much! :)

(By the way, I just bought your DiskTrix Ultimate DeFrag6 and am pondering how best to implement it in my environment.
I'll let you know what I come up with after I look at it a few more days ... Thanks again! 8-) )

Tom
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Advice for users about Windows memory compression

Post by Support »

@RobF99, thank you very much for sharing!