Reason to purchase Ramdisk if owning PrimoCache?

FAQ, getting help, user experience about Primo Ramdisk
darronbrown
Level 1
Level 1

Reason to purchase Ramdisk if owning PrimoCache?

Post by darronbrown »

I was looking for a Use Case if there was one in purchasing Primo Ramdisk if owning PrimoCache? Would there be a reason and/or benefit to this?

Thanks!
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Reason to purchase Ramdisk if owning PrimoCache?

Post by Support »

Jorax
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Jorax »

Hello,

I installed both of them on my PC with 64GB RAM and I use them for different purposes.

PRIMOCACHE

A) For caching the HDD partition where my videogames are installed to speed up game levels' loading and other disk accesses during the play session, with these settings:
Block Size 4KB. Defer Write Latency 10 sec, Flush L1 cache to L2 ON.
20 GB L1 cache split like this: 18 GB (90% Read) 2 GB (10% Write)
192 GB L2 cache (100% Read). I created a partition of that size on internal SSD then assigned it to PrimoCache L2 cache

B) For caching the SSD partition where the Windows 11 OS is installed to reduce SSD wearing with these settings:
Block Size 4KB, Defer Write OFF
14 GB L1 cache split like this: 10.50 GB (75% Read) 3.50 GB (25% Write)

PRIMO RAMDISK

16 GB Ramdisk (Direct-IO - NTFS) with Dynamic Memory Management enabled and leaving Compact mode unchecked. I use RamDisk for temporary files (browser cache, app temporary folder) and I also put the Windows 11 pagefile on it with these settings: 16 MB minimum size, 16000 MB maximum size, no pagefile on other disks.

These settings at first may seem rather RAM consuming but even playing videogames which need a high RAM usage I never run out of memory.

ATM I have RAM usage 75% so I have plenty of RAM free.

Regards
Caching
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Caching »

Hi,

thanks for the tip.

I did not got it to make a second cache for my SSDs. I had them both on 1 Cache, asking why there are no hits on the SSD, and why I do not see 4k-Blocks !

Regards :)
Jorax
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Jorax »

Hi,

as you're referring to PrimoCache I think it's better you post your question to PrimoCache Technical Support Forum at viewforum.php?f=33

Regards