How can I measure performance improvements of PrimoCache ?

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
GordonD
Level 1
Level 1

How can I measure performance improvements of PrimoCache ?

Post by GordonD »

I have an issue with a Game (Ever Quest) that creates a logfile, and while playing the log file adds about 10K per second of text and can grow well over 500meg in a few weeks of playing. The writing of the file causes no performance issues. I have 2 other programs that constantly run hundreds of Regex comparisons on the log file per second. The constant reloading of the logfile so it can be re-scanned for new matches DOES cause performance issues. The lag from the time it takes the file to be written to the time the Regex scanner detects the pattern can be up to 5 seconds. Ideally the time the regex notifies the user of a match from the time the user sees the matching text in game, should be under 1 second. When this happens, truncation of the logfile to less than 100meg helps performance a lot. BUT, I want better than ok.

I read the FAQ and I realize Primocache does drive cacheing and not file/directory cacheing, I am fine with that, as it may help my file issue and well as help over all system performance.

Will PrimoCache help with my file issue? Is there any tools that I can run on my system to determine performance improvements with that specific log file and with the system in General.

Thanks
Nick7
Level 5
Level 5

Re: How can I measure performance improvements of PrimoCache ?

Post by Nick7 »

I will not, as OS also does file caching.
If you keep re-reading same file over and over, it'll be in OS's read cache.

To test: open Task Manager, and check drive holding the file while scripts are running. Close to 0 I/O there at that time.. so there you go.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: How can I measure performance improvements of PrimoCache ?

Post by Support »

PrimoCache with Defer-Write might keep your log file in RAM if you have large enough cache. However, I wonder the most time is taken by Regex processing, not the file access.