Unable to get advertised transfer speeds Topic is solved

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
gsrajah9410
Level 2
Level 2

Unable to get advertised transfer speeds

Post by gsrajah9410 »

Hi All,

I just purchased Primocache but I am not getting adequate transfer speeds. I have connected two WD hard drives on USB 3.0 interface on back of my motherboard named as Backup 1 and Backup 3, Model Number of my WD Hard drive is WDBYVG0020BBK-WESN. My system has WD SSD 240 GB as the boot drive model number WDS240G2G0A. My backup - 1 has about 1.1 TB mixed across photos, videos, games, softwares, tutorials etc and I am trying to transfer to backup 2. I have set up primocache to accelerate all 3 drives (C, Backup 1 and Backup 2) but it simply does not go above 20 MB/s, even worse gets stuck on 0 bytes. No difference whether i use L1 cache or not. Also i tried possibilities of assigning various combinations to backup 1, backup 2 and c by changing read write caches but no improvements. but when I pause primocache and tested to transfer a bin file of a game which is about 1 gb to backup 2 from my c drive, it was at a constant 100 MB/s. Kindly help as I suspect primocache is not working here
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Unable to get advertised transfer speeds

Post by Support »

Hello gsrajah9410,

Could you please upload your cache configuration and statistics for our reference as guided in the link below? Thanks.
https://kb.romexsoftware.com/en-us/2-pr ... leshooting
gsrajah9410
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gsrajah9410 »

Hi, please find attached the file below. Also I have currently disconnected my external hard drive as first this 4tb is internal HDD and want to go one by one
Attachments
romex1.jpg
romex1.jpg (184.11 KiB) Viewed 587 times
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

You set L2 cache for caching write-data only, but didn't enable Defer-Write. This configuration will have no effect to improve performance. If you want to speed up write performance, you have to enable Defer-Write. Please see
https://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/pri ... write.html
gsrajah9410
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gsrajah9410 »

Hi, As I said earlier, I made all possible changes. For example set l2 cache one time to read only then tested, next try was set to write only and tested, third try was set to defer write and no improvement in file copy speeds. and fourth was shared read write cache with no defer write. On all 4 cases, there was no speed improvements even a bit. In fact, it worsened all the way to zero
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Please try this:
Based on the above configuration, do following changes: 1) enable Defer-Write, set Latency to 30s and 2) change the block size to 64KB.
Then do the test as you mentioned: transfer a bin file of a game which is about 1 gb to the D drive from the C drive.
gsrajah9410
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gsrajah9410 »

Hi,

Just copy pasted Windows 10 Image file from C drive to D drive: Two tests: 1st test was Primocache disabled and it copied the windows 10 file which is about 5.79 GB, flat in 50 seconds and the second test was with the above setting as instructed, and the file copy took 2 minutes 46 seconds. So from this, isn’t it obvious that Primocache is the one that actually slows down instead of speeding things up?
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

What drive is formatted as the level-2 storage device? I suppose it is from a partition of the SSD, right? And please upload your latest configuration for our reference. We 100% sure Defer-Write can increase write performance if not misconfigured.
gsrajah9410
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gsrajah9410 »

Level 2 Storage device is a partition of WD Green 240 GB SSD. Also, please find attached configuration as requested
Attachments
D Drive
D Drive
989A4EAE-28A1-44C8-A51A-ABAC4E6E726B.jpeg (155.68 KiB) Viewed 543 times
C Drive
C Drive
636DA98C-5723-460B-9726-0F94B238D4ED.jpeg (154.69 KiB) Viewed 543 times
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Since the drive C and the level-2 storage volume are on the same drive, level-2 cache is disabled on the drive C. As level-1 cache is also not set, so there is no cache on the drive C. Please remove the drive c from the cache task, then change the defer-write latency to 60s and then try the test again. Thanks.