Is my app suitable?

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
spudwa
Level 1
Level 1

Is my app suitable?

Post by spudwa »

I'm writing a C++ simulator program that creates one large flat file which can be a 2-3 TB in size (maybe larger in future). As the simulation progresses all file activity is at the end of the file and the rest of the file is history which is used later for analysis after program completion. File activity at the hotend of the file after the initial write is random read/write. My 2TB SSD is no longer big enough so I have moved the application onto a large spinning disk which has caused a performance drop. So I'm wondering if Primocache would be suitable for this type of application. Also would it be worth me buying a SSD to use for L2 cache for this type of application?

Thanks Paul
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Is my app suitable?

Post by Support »

For random read in your scenario, I'm afraid PrimoCache might not help. However, if data is not important or it can be reproduced, you can use PrimoCace with Defer-write enabled to improve the write performance.
spudwa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by spudwa »

Thanks for the quick reply. You didn't answer my question about L2 cache on a SSD. What I'm hoping is that I can get SSD performance for the hotend of the file until it is no longer being used and at that point it will be flushed to the spinning disk
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

For defer-write, I think L1 is enough. But if your write workload is heavy, you may add L2 cache. L2 also can help the read performance for hot files. You may use your current 2TB SSD (or a part of this SSD) as L2 cache. No need to buy a new SSD if current one can meet your requirements.
spudwa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by spudwa »

My workload is heavy as I frequently have to do disk based sorts so much so that I suspect my SSD is a bit 'terminal' I'm going to setup a new NVME as L2 and I will report back and maybe add it to your sticky thread

Thx
spudwa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by spudwa »

https://imgur.com/a/QxAyUVTImage

Well it certainly seems to be working WELL. Previously the spinning disk was almost 100%. Looks like I've got SSD performance and spinning disk size/cost all for $30. I'll be ordering soon
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

I'm glad that our product helps :)