Hyper-V / Image Timing Save

FAQ, getting help, user experience about Primo Ramdisk
is911
Level 1
Level 1

Hyper-V / Image Timing Save

Post by is911 »

Hi, I'm trialing RamDisk on Server 2019.

First critical question is whether RamDisk is production-grade ready for storing hyper-V virtual machines/disks.

Secondly, what is the impact of setting Image Timing to save at a frequency of 1 second compared to say 60 minutes? Will 1 second frequency negate the raw performance of RAM memory because of I/O to physical disk?

Thank you.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Hyper-V / Image Timing Save

Post by Support »

Thank you for trying our product!
is911 wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:20 am First critical question is whether RamDisk is production-grade ready for storing hyper-V virtual machines/disks.
Yes. However, because client computers/servers have variable hardware components and software applications installed, please do a trial run before put it into a production environment.
is911 wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:20 am Secondly, what is the impact of setting Image Timing to save at a frequency of 1 second compared to say 60 minutes? Will 1 second frequency negate the raw performance of RAM memory because of I/O to physical disk?
Saving will lock certain data and negate the ramdisk performance. Of course the benefit of a high saving frequency is reducing the risk of data loss.
PS. If you use a large ramdisk to store many virtual disks, it is recommended that you use a backup program to directly backup virtual disks frequently instead of using ramdisk "timing save". This is because if the ramdisk image (.vdf) get corrupted accidently, it might lose all virtual disks stored inside it.