Defered write flush locks up hdd

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
preecher
Level 1
Level 1

Defered write flush locks up hdd

Post by preecher »

I have an issue that occurs from time to time and when it does, it is really annoying:

my setup: I have a WD green hdd cached by an 512gb nvme ssd, with Defer-Write turned on.

the issue: when I copy 20+gb data to the cached drive, and the flush begins, it makes media players (VLC, Kodi) not able to read from that drive, until the flush finishes.

for example: I'm watching a movie, and I copy data to a cached drive, the movie (that is also on the cached drive) starts stuttering and eventually stops until the flush finishes.
This happens with both VLC and Kodi, the issue is not the media player.

this does not happen without defer write.

I also tried numerous settings to resolve this issue but nothing seems to work.
Settings that I tried:
- latency: 0/10/60/INFINITE/999999
- write mode: average/buffer/idle
- free cache on written
- gather interval: IDLE ONLY / DEFAULT

I have a small widget the monitors write speeds, and I noticed that without defer write, the write speeds are much slower to the HDD. ( defer on: 100mb/s, defer off: 40~ mb/s )

Any advice would be appreciated. ( other than do not copy stuff while watching movies )
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Defered write flush locks up hdd

Post by Support »

how about 10s latency with average write mode? And if you have sufficient RAM, I would recommend using RAM for defer-write.
preecher
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Defered write flush locks up hdd

Post by preecher »

I am not sure what happened but this combination actually works without causing stuttering. I'm going to test it some more just to be sure.