Ignore cache for certain processes

Suggestions around PrimoCache
fig2k4
Level 1
Level 1

Ignore cache for certain processes

Post by fig2k4 »

If it's technically possible, I'd like to ignore the cache completely for certain processes.

Game clients, like Epic Games Launcher, Steam, Origin and the Windows Store are constantly downloading/updating/verifying games. All these operations are filling my L1 and L2 over and over with data that never gets read again. By the time I go to play a game, that game has been purged from L2 and needs to be cached again. I never get the benefit of the L2 cache because when I come back to play that game again, maybe the next day, it's been purged from the cache by more game updates.

This is a sort of family gaming PC, so turning off auto updates wouldn't make much difference since we all play different games that would be updated before we play them anyway.

The idea would work well for backup software, defragger, antivirus etc. too. None of the data read from this kind of software should ever be written to the L2 cache.

So, my suggestion is to allow the read/write cache to be disabled or ignored for certain processes. The processes could easily be listed to allow the user to choose. The only problem would be if it wasn't possible to tell which process the I/O request came from.(?)
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Ignore cache for certain processes

Post by Support »

Thank you for your suggestion. Actually we have already had similar ideas on this. Technically, not all of data from a process can be filtered in the PrimoCache level, because some data will be transferred from the user process to the system process in the kernel. We will work to get a better solution.