Pegging cache to certain memory range

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
mpaine
Level 1
Level 1

Pegging cache to certain memory range

Post by mpaine »

I am new to PrimoCache and I have a particular use case. My systems has 48GB RAM (16GB+32GB) and I want to peg the PrimoCache to the single channel mode section of RAM (likely last 16GB RAM region). Is there a way to specify this inside the configuration somewhere?
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Pegging cache to certain memory range

Post by Support »

Sorry, this is not available.
joshfreeman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by joshfreeman »

i guess not
mpaine
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mpaine »

Could this be a feature request in a future version? I would think it is great for supporting Flex mode RAM scenarios like myself.
HMarx
Level 1
Level 1

Post by HMarx »

I was just wondering this very same thing for the same reasons:

I have a new laptop with 12GB system total memory (8GB soldered, 4GB module) which I want to bump up to either 16GB system total via an 8GB module (achieving/ensuring dual-channel mode speeds for all purposes), or possibly to 24GB system total via a 16GB module (Intel's Flex Memory feature should achieve 16GB dual-channel, plus 8GB single-channel) but which might result in unpredictable slower performance on occasion.

That is, for the 24GB asymmetric memory, I don't know whether/where the system will decide to place portions (or all) of the OS itself, or the integrated video shared memory, etc., within the mode mix. Perhaps the "memory bucket" fills from the "bottom up", starting with the faster dual-channel mode portion (or would that turn out to start with the slower single-channel)?

Hopefully it uses ALL dual-channel for everything until it begins to need extra memory, so rather than page swapping to storage the surplus single-channel 8GB would simply ensure enhanced system stability beyond a 16GB-equipped machine; but I've found little to explain how it works.

Therefore I thought back to PrimoCache and/or Primo Ramdisk (and how well it worked on a previous system) with the intent of perhaps designating the single-channel 8GB for use in reducing wear on the SSD.

...but only to see your statement that choosing the location in memory is not possible. With ever-higher memory demands of Windows and apps, has your product reached a point where it could become possible? Or does the hardware or Windows itself prevent such physical mapping allocation?

Thanks!
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Theoretically, it is possible. However, practically, it's very slow to allocate RAM from Windows when you specify the address range.
HMarx
Level 1
Level 1

Post by HMarx »

OK, good to know -- thanks for your answer.