defragmentation

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
wave
Level 3
Level 3

defragmentation

Post by wave »

is it possible or recommended to defragment an HDD volume with L2 write and read cache enabled? or is it better to disable primocache first? Thanks!
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Re: defragmentation

Post by Jaga »

When doing defrags I typically pause the read/write caches, ensuring they'll retain as much content as they can. You can leave it enabled to help speed the defrag a little bit, but usually the cache ends up with data in it you didn't really want, so pausing is typically the best.
wave
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wave »

Jaga wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:55 am When doing defrags I typically pause the read/write caches, ensuring they'll retain as much content as they can. You can leave it enabled to help speed the defrag a little bit, but usually the cache ends up with data in it you didn't really want, so pausing is typically the best.
thanks for reply. I disabled automatic defrag so I can pause primocache before defragmenting.
minhgi
Level 10
Level 10

Post by minhgi »

Been using diskeeper with primocache for longest. Use with effecient mode and pretty much optimize your hard disk awhile keep the L2 cache intact. Using full auto defrag isn't a good idea since cách retention suck. Get push out l2 cách often.