Primo Ramdisk opinion

FAQ, getting help, user experience about Primo Ramdisk
Jorax
Level 2
Level 2

Primo Ramdisk opinion

Post by Jorax »

Hello,
I've just registered to Romex Software forum just to say what a wonderful software Primo Ramdisk is.
I have a system with 16 GB RAM and even with that amount of memory many videogames need a large pagefile to play fine; before using Primo Ramdisk I had to put the pagefile on hard disk but the videogames had microstuttering and microfreezes when they were accessing the pagefile.
Then I created a 12 GB (Direct-IO - NTFS) Ramdisk and set a pagefile on it ( 12288 MB initial size, 12288 MB maximum size), no pagefile on hard disks, but the result was even worse than before as at Windows boot the RAM usage was 90% and when playing the videogames the RAM usage reached 99% with HD thrashing, stuttering and lockups.
Then I discovered the Dynamic Memory Management feature of Primo Ramdisk so first I deleted the previous Ramdisk and I created a new 16 GB (Direct-IO - NTFS) Ramdisk by checking Dynamic Memory Management, leaving Compact mode unchecked as I have Windows 10; after doing this I set a pagefile on this Ramdisk (16 MB minimum size, 16000 MB maximum size), no pagefile on hard disks, rebooted and magically the RAM usage lowered from 90% to 25%.
The videogames I was playing before now run as smooth as butter with absolutely no freezes or stuttering, the RAM usage when playing these games barely reaches 60%.
This is my experience with Primo Ramdisk so far; i'm also a PrimoCache user, another great software from Romex.

Greetings
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Primo Ramdisk opinion

Post by Support »

Thank you very much for sharing your experience!

Are your hard drives HDDs or SSDs? May I know these game names?
Jorax
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Jorax »

My drives are HDD but i'm also using an external SSD for PrimoCache L2 cache; the videogames I tested were Star Wars Battlefront II (before applying that settings I had a lot of HD thrashing and the game was stuttering like hell, even if the game was installed on the external SSD) and Middle-earth: Shadow of War (this had occasional 4-5 seconds freezes).
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Many thanks for the information!