Primo RamDisk

FAQ, getting help, user experience about Primo Ramdisk
Blizzard1234
Level 2
Level 2

Primo RamDisk

Post by Blizzard1234 »

Hi

I installed the trial version of Primo and am still within my trial period. After my system crashed, I now can't run Primo RamDisk - getting error "The kernel component is not running" followed by a need to restart the computer.

I have uninstalled & reinstalled Primo RamDisk and still can't run it.

What can I do to fix this issue?

Do I need to copy a dll or sys file to a directory or edit a registry entry? Pls let me know how to resolve this issue.

Thank you
InquiringMind
Level SS
Level SS

Re: Primo RamDisk

Post by InquiringMind »

Welcome to the forums Blizzard1234,

First of all, did Primo Ramdisk work initially and then stop - or did it never work on your system?

If it worked initially: Which version of Windows are you running? If Windows 10, have you enabled Core Isolation/Memory Integrity? (if so, you need to disable them). Prior to the crash, had you applied any Windows Updates? (try uninstalling those applied just before - or use System Restore to roll back to a configuration before your crash).

If it never worked: Are you are running security software that restricts driver/service installation? If so, you will need to allow such an install for Primo Ramdisk, whose driver is called fancyrd.sys - you should be able to check for this file either in your C:\Windows\System32\Drivers folder or in Device Manager (it should show as "Primo Ramdisk Controller" under "System devices"). If neither of these are present, then something has prevented the proper installation of Primo Ramdisk - try to identify the cause (check the Windows Event Log for installation error messages) to see if that helps identify the cause. If in doubt, disconnect from the Internet, disable your security software and try reinstalling.

Also please note there are other issues that can result in crashes - check if any apply and use the workaround supplied if appropriate.
Blizzard1234
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Blizzard1234 »

Hi
Answers:
Win 10 Pro
Windows Core isolation is disabled
no Windows updates installed prior to crash
system restore did not resolve issue
Primo RamDisk Controller is loaded normally in Device Manager
fancyrd.sys & rxbsknl.sys reside win Windows\system32\drivers (maybe these need to re-registered somehow with the system reistry)

My PC hung and had to hold power button down to restart it
I disabled TrendMicro antovirus and it hasn't blocked any software/drivers from loading

Do you have a utility to completely remove RamDisk including all registry entries? maybe that might work
InquiringMind
Level SS
Level SS

Post by InquiringMind »

Using Device Manager, try right-clicking on the Primo Ramdisk Controller, select Update Driver, then choose "Install software automatically". If that doesn't work then try disabling and re-enabling the controller, then re-running the Primo Ramdisk application. If it still returns the same error message, try uninstalling the controller in Device Manager, then uninstall and reinstall Primo Ramdisk. Keep an eye on Event Manager for any errors.

I could supply an uninstall .reg file based on my system, but given I'm using an older version of Primo Ramdisk and am running on Windows XP, there's considerable likelihood that it wouldn't match your setup.

If none of the above work, then it'll be up to Support to suggest further options.
Blizzard1234
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Blizzard1234 »

thanks so much for your efforts in assisting me

Tried removing the controller through Device Manager, rebooted, reinstalled Primo RamDisk and still getting the same error

how do I get in touch with tech support?
InquiringMind
Level SS
Level SS

Post by InquiringMind »

Support will doubtless pick this thread up, once the working week starts.

Do you have any idea why your PC crashed (any clues in Event Viewer, etc) and how long after the install of Primo Ramdisk did it happen? Have you previously installed any other ramdisk?

As a last resort, I have listed Primo Ramdisk's registry entries below (I tried to attach them as a .reg or .txt file but this forum is currently only allowing image files as attachments). There are a number of caveats with this (I'm using an older version on a different OS) but I have edited the file so it only removes entries. It isn't a complete uninstall tool (it doesn't include the keys Romex use to keep track of trial usage) and I would advise you to check each entry using Registry Editor on your system to make sure that the keys referenced belong to Primo Ramdisk, not another application (in particular, double-check the HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\EnumRoot\SYSTEM\0003 key - that may be being used for something else on your system). I'd also advise taking a registry backup (or creating a System Restore point) before proceeding.

Assuming you are OK with the details, copy them into Notepad (or a similar text editor) and save them using a filename with a .reg extension. Double-clicking that file should then result in Windows asking you to confirm that you want to merge these entries with your Registry - accepting this should then wipe those entries (probably only after one or more UAC prompts).

Doing this and deleting the fancyrd.sys and rxbsknl.sys drivers (plus the folder you installed Romex Ramdisk into) should pretty much give you a clean slate for another reinstall. I'm dubious that this will work, but in the absence of any other solution it may be worth a shot.

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

; Generated by Total Uninstall

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{94B97E1E-9B67-4012-A126-6319E211A298}_is1]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Romex Software]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E97D-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0036]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\SYSTEM\0003]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Eventlog\System\{33904ecc-dad2-4816-9350-3dc36a8b61ae}]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Eventlog\System\FancyRd]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\FancyRd]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NTRXBSKRNL]
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

@Blizzard1234, you may install the program and then check if the "Primo Ramdisk Controller" under the "System devices" branch in the device manager installed and running without any problems. Please upload your screenshots like followings.
PR-devmgr-1.png
PR-devmgr-1.png (14.72 KiB) Viewed 3517 times
PR-devmgr-2.png
PR-devmgr-2.png (8.35 KiB) Viewed 3517 times
PR-devmgr-3.png
PR-devmgr-3.png (9.22 KiB) Viewed 3517 times
If your results are similar, it means that your Primo Ramdisk driver (kernel component) is loaded and working. Then the problem might be that something blocked the IO communications between the Primo Ramdisk application and the driver.
Blizzard1234
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Blizzard1234 »

Hi
The controller is reported to be running properly as the screenshots in your reply. What do you suggest I check next to find out what is preventing the RamDisk app from accessing the driver? What can block the IO communication between the driver and app? After the error message appears, I press OK and the app appears but obviously it's not working normally with the buttons greyed out. I tried to create a new disk and obviously this fails as well.
InquiringMind
Level SS
Level SS

Post by InquiringMind »

Blizzard1234,

You specified above that you were running Windows 10 Pro - could you confirm if you are running the 32-bit or 64-bit version? (32-bit requires the correct PAE settings for Primo Ramdisk to function). Prior to your crash, what were you using the ramdisk for, and did everything appear OK with it at the time? Have you installed other ramdisk software previously?

If Trend (or any other AV scanner/security software) is enabled, try configuring exceptions for the following files:
fancyrd.exe (in Primo Ramdisk folder)
rxprd.exe (in Primo Ramdisk folder, see next section)
fancyrd.sys (in Windows\System32\drivers)
rxbsknl.sys (in Windows\System32\drivers)

Can you create or list ramdisks via the command line interface? (if an error is reported, please include details of the exact message).
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

@Blizzard1234, then could you run the following command in the Command Prompt with administrative privileges, and post the result here?
pnputil /enum-interfaces /class {48fa1fe0-7189-432a-9fd4-9db766b64b31}