Problem with Dynamic Memory Management

FAQ, getting help, user experience about Primo Ramdisk
erich56
Level 4
Level 4

Problem with Dynamic Memory Management

Post by erich56 »

Recently I installed Primo RamDisk on my PC (Windows 10 Pro) which has 64GB RAM.

I set the disk size to 48GB, and – important for me – “Dynamic Memory Management”. This is a very valuable feature I am very pleased with. Once in operation, when the Ramdisk got filled with say 30GB of data, the remaining amount of free RAM was around 33GB.
After a few days, I saved the disk content to an image file for the first time, closed down Primo Ramdisk, re-started Primo Ramdisk and associated the image file. As expected, the content of the image file was properly loaded to the Ramdisk.
However, Dynamic Memory Management does not seem to work any more – the size of the Ramdisk always is 48GB all the time, although the total data within the image file is only 21GB. So, the free RAM is only 13GB (instead of around 42GB in this case).
In fact, I was wondering anyway why the size of the image file was 48GB, while the content of the Ramdisk to be saved to the image file was only 21GB.
To make sure, I checked the setting – and there is, as should be, a check at “Dynamic Memory Management”. But, as said, it does not seem to work any longer.

The reason why I chose Primo Ramdisk was the convenience of the Dynamic Memory Management. So does this work only in the very first step when putting up the Ramdisk for the first time, but no longer once the content is saved to an image file and then this image file is associated with the Ramdisk? I don’t think that is the design, is it?
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Problem with Dynamic Memory Management

Post by Support »

When using with image files, you may need the "compact" image format and enable the compact mode with "Dynamic Memory Management". Besides, the file system on the ramdisk needs to be NTFS.
SpeedFreak
Level 2
Level 2

Post by SpeedFreak »

Hello, i have the same issue with win 10 LTSC 1809

Not sure if DMM should to work the way it works though.

Steps to reproduce
1) create the ramdisk
2) fill the ramdisk with files --> free ram is reduced as expexted
3) restart pc
4) delete the files --> ram taken by ramdisk is still occupied
5) run a program that needs a lot ram to run --> ramdisk doesn't release occupied ram and program crashes

i have tested a lot to find when it works and when it doesn't and i found out that the only time it works is when
1) create the ramdisk
2) fill the ramdisk with files --> free ram is reduced as expexted
3) restart pc
4) delete the files --> ram taken by ramdisk is still occupied
$) fill the ramdisk with files --> ram taken PREVIOUSLY by ramdisk is still occupied (even if you write the half size of files this time)
6) delete the files --> ram taken by ramdisk is free

but even if it works with that way, it works until i restart the pc, after restart ram gets occupied again

7) restart pc --> ram taken in step 2 is still occupied

My settings were and are as you suggested above

Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

The problem is that current image files have no way to remove deleted data from the file itself, resulting in occupying ram again after reboot. We are redesigning the image feature to make them fully support dynamic memory. Thanks.
SpeedFreak
Level 2
Level 2

Post by SpeedFreak »

Big thanks for your support and the excellence of Primo Ramdisk, this is some awesome software and can't wait until this gets fixed so we can get the full potential of it! :D
SpeedFreak
Level 2
Level 2

Post by SpeedFreak »

Was wondering!!
Is there any ETA for the release with the fixed DMM?
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

It's planned in 2022 Q1.
SpeedFreak
Level 2
Level 2

Post by SpeedFreak »

Thanks
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaga »

Support wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:24 am It's planned in 2022 Q1.
:thumbup:
SpeedFreak
Level 2
Level 2

Post by SpeedFreak »

:(
still not fixed?
any reasons why?