temp location changing every reboot

FAQ, getting help, user experience about Primo Ramdisk
Shadowarez
Level 3
Level 3

temp location changing every reboot

Post by Shadowarez »

im having a weird issue iv set the temp/tmp dirs to my ramdisk, its set to persistent, i can see it change within the app using the utilities but upon reboot windows just changes it back to C drive, i have it set ti image very hour and back up. what am i doing wrong.
janusz521
Level 5
Level 5

Re: temp location changing every reboot

Post by janusz521 »

Try manually setting/modifying the TMP variables in the user/system section you can see in the "System Properties" - "Environment Variables" dialog. Those changes should be persistent but doing it may be risky as the ramdisk may not be available when attempting a safe boot or during some stages of Windows updates. In my opinion, moving the TMP folder to a ramdisk is not an as straightforward issue as you may hear about it.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Do you run the program with Administrative privileges? Or is your Windows write-protected?
As janusz521 suggested, how about if you manually change the setting?
InquiringMind
Level SS
Level SS

Post by InquiringMind »

Shadowarez wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:46 pm...i can see it change within the app using the utilities but upon reboot windows just changes it back to C drive
Windows updates have a habit of resetting the Temp folder so if you have one that isn't completing but trying to rerun every Windows startup, this could be the cause.

In such a case, ZDNet: Windows Update failed? Here are 10 fixes you can try might be a good place to start.
Shadowarez wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:46 pmi have it set ti image very hour and back up
Contents of the Temp/Tmp folder shouldn't need backing up. If that is the only data on your ramdisk, you can disable any imaging. If you have other folders on your ramdisk though, it's safer to keep it on.