Resizable windows Topic is solved

Report bugs or suggestions around Primo Ramdisk
salopet
Level 2
Level 2

Resizable windows

Post by salopet »

Hi all,
I'm a licensed user from 2017 and since then I would have appreciated the opportunity to enlarge or reduce the main window and others that come from the "open" and "load" commands. It's a bit annoying to scroll each time to look for virtual disks, vdd and vdf files.

I also hope that support for disk images format will be added soon.

Thanks for the attention.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Resizable windows

Post by Support »

I'm sorry for the late reply because we were on Chinese New Year Holiday.
Thank you for your suggestions! We will support resizing the main window. Other windows which come from the the "open" and "load" commands are Windows system dialogs and they should have been resizable.
salopet wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:37 pm also hope that support for disk images format will be added soon.
Sorry, I don't get it. What "disk images format" do you mean?
salopet
Level 2
Level 2

Post by salopet »

Support wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:02 pm I'm sorry for the late reply because we were on Chinese New Year Holiday.
Thank you for your suggestions! We will support resizing the main window. Other windows which come from the the "open" and "load" commands are Windows system dialogs and they should have been resizable.
No problem ;)
Thanks for your reply and for accepting my suggestion.

Unfortunately, I have to confirm that the dialog boxes for saving files (but also for opening) are not resizable, as in the following image:
Primo Ramdisk.png
Primo Ramdisk.png (80.05 KiB) Viewed 4575 times
Support wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:02 pmSorry, I don't get it. What "disk images format" do you mean?
I'm referring to the "VHD" image you mentioned here:
viewtopic.php?p=12361&sid=749ab57771c00 ... 98d#p12361
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaga »

salopet wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:29 pmUnfortunately, I have to confirm that the dialog boxes for saving files (but also for opening) are not resizable, as in the following image:
What OS are you using? That appears to be a limitation of the particular Operating System, since it is a child window which is system generated. I'm using the latest Primo RAMDisk and Windows 10, and it displays a resize handle for me fine on save dialogs.
salopet
Level 2
Level 2

Post by salopet »

Jaga wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:14 pm
salopet wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:29 pmUnfortunately, I have to confirm that the dialog boxes for saving files (but also for opening) are not resizable, as in the following image:
What OS are you using? That appears to be a limitation of the particular Operating System, since it is a child window which is system generated. I'm using the latest Primo RAMDisk and Windows 10, and it displays a resize handle for me fine on save dialogs.
Hi Jaga,
I'm using XP Pro SP3.
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaga »

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. It's a modal child window that the OS controls, which I don't believe XP ever added the ability for resizing to. Windows 10 has that ability (it was added somewhere between XP and 10, though I couldn't say which OS added it).
salopet
Level 2
Level 2

Post by salopet »

Jaga wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:10 am Yeah, that's what I was thinking. It's a modal child window that the OS controls, which I don't believe XP ever added the ability for resizing to. Windows 10 has that ability (it was added somewhere between XP and 10, though I couldn't say which OS added it).
I don't use a lot of programs but in almost all there is the possibility to resize these child windows.
The only exception is Primo Ramdisk.
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaga »

salopet wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:51 pmI don't use a lot of programs but in almost all there is the possibility to resize these child windows.
The only exception is Primo Ramdisk.
I tested a program on my Win7 file server and it had the same issue, though going back and checking Notepad and Notepad++ both had the resize-ability in Win7. Sounds like it was a modal child window "optional feature" that some programs added and others did not. I'm not a programmer so can't say with any certainty.

Support may be able to address it for the W7 build - they'd have to chime in to know for sure. But it is possible for a program to have a re-sizeable child window in W7, for sure.
janusz521
Level 5
Level 5

Post by janusz521 »

Resizing a window requires some work of the application to correctly resize/reposition the shown controls. Traditionally for many programs, only the main window was resizable but various popup dialogs were of constant size. Nowadays with various screen sizes/resolutions and bigger data sets, resizable dialogs are more common. They are feasible but require more work however we may hope that PromoCache will walk the same path.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

We tested from XP to Win10, find that the problem of resizing Windows File Dialogs only exists on XP. According to Microsoft documents, resizing is automatically enabled by default. Will do further check on XP. Thanks.