PrimoCache and Significant Speeding up of Defragmentation

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
RobF99
Level 8
Level 8

PrimoCache and Significant Speeding up of Defragmentation

Post by RobF99 »

I am affiliated with the defragmentation product UltimateDefrag. I understand if Romex decides to remove this post but it is very beneficial for the users of PrimoCache in that these two products work really well together in several ways.

Firstly, with UltimateDefrag you can create a third fastest level of file access after L2 by its High Performance file placement option where it places frequently accessed files to the fast outer tracks of the regular hard drive so that if a file is not yet cached by PrimoCache, the reading of any frequently used, yet uncached, file will be read from these outer tracks for minimal latency possible - both transfer speeds and access time since files are placed in tracks altogether and not across the entire drive.

Secondly, if you use L2 cache writing, files that are placed in these High Performance tracks on the regular hard drive during defrag are automatically cached by PrimoCache into L2.

Thirdly, it is safe to defragment with PrimoCache active and it makes defragmentation go much faster. Especially with UltimateDefrag where you don't have to defragment your entire hard drive, just your most frequently used files and if they are not yet cached in L2 they will be during defrag write.

We put together a post on our website that explains it further:

https://www.disktrix.com/ultimatedefrag ... cache.html

I have been using these two products together for years and this post is ultimately about my experience with the two products together.