RAMDISK allocations and NUMA Topic is solved

Report bugs or suggestions around Primo Ramdisk
A2Razor
Level 1
Level 1

RAMDISK allocations and NUMA

Post by A2Razor »

Potentially a question, a feature suggestion, or perhaps a bit of both.

Threadripper user here (1950X usually set in "local" memory access mode) ... noticed a scenario cropping up where my IDE & dev tool performance seemed randomly slow (on some starts). After some digging it looks like this is the result of a NUMA node being mostly filled by my ramdisks and the IDE (by random chance) being spun up at creation on the same node (favoring that node). After this node fills up, with allocations continuing on the other, threads remain local and I incur the latency hit of access from the other controller. (this has symptoms such as symbol re-building taking another 10 seconds)

I can manually clear this up and prevent it by explicitly specifying the node that software is launched on (with the 'start' utility), yet I would also need to know / need control over ramdisk allocations.

How does Primo Ramdisk decide where to make its allocations?

Is there any way to specify where memory is allocated for a RAMDISK?
ex:
-From Node 1
-From Node 2
-Spread (half and half)
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: RAMDISK allocations and NUMA

Post by Support »

For NUMA-aware, we have completed its kernel functions, however, we are still testing and checking on it. We'll finalize it as soon as possible.
A2Razor
Level 1
Level 1

Re: RAMDISK allocations and NUMA

Post by A2Razor »

support wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:01 am For NUMA-aware, we have completed its kernel functions, however, we are still testing and checking on it. We'll finalize it as soon as possible.
Fantastic! Wasn't even aware that NUMA support was in the works or planned. Will be greatly looking forward to that next release.

Even without, Primo has been a godsend in speeding up build times and the development process.