PrimoCache causing system instability? [SOLVED & PURCHASED PRIMOCACHE] Topic is solved

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
Pihkal
Level 1
Level 1

PrimoCache causing system instability? [SOLVED & PURCHASED PRIMOCACHE]

Post by Pihkal »

Hi all,

I've been evaluating PrimoCache for almost a week now and I'm impressed by what it can do WHEN it works.
In the past days I've had several game freezes/crashes and even one system reboot.
I've never had these issues before and since the only major change to my system is PrimoCache I suspect it to be the culprit.
Are there known issues with it and if so, what are they?
I was considering to purchase PrimoCache but not if it's this unstable.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

My usecase (as test):

1 TB HDD with Steam games
Samsung EVO 850 250 GB L2 cache
2 GB RAM L1 cache

My system:

CPU: AMD R5 1600 @ 3.95Ghz (OC proven stable over the past 6 months, even when torture testing)
Mobo: Asus Prime B350 Plus
RAM: 16 GB of Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000 Mhz
GPU: Asus RoG Strix RX 580 OC Gaming 8 GB
PSU: Corsair VS 650 W
Last edited by Pihkal on Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Re: PrimoCache causing system instability?

Post by Jaga »

No known issues with Primocache. I've been using it since it was called FancyCache (many, many years ago), and have never had it cause any instability in my systems (I run it on multiple servers/workstations/gaming machines now). Everyone I've recommended it to is happy with it, and doesn't have issues either.

You'll want to check your system for bad RAM, overheating, etc. First thing to do is take off the overclock - stable is a matter of judgement. You could be getting bit-flips in RAM and not even know about it. Get a copy of Prime95 v277 and torture test the machine for no less than 12 hours straight (blend test is fine).

Run an overnight RAM tester to really test every nook and cranny of the memory.

You may also have a piece of system software or driver that isn't playing nice with Primocache. I'd look at everything running as services and in the tray in addition to the hardware checks.

Edit: as a sidenote - your GPU requires a 500 Watt PSU at a -minimum-, and you're using a 650 Watt PSU with only an 80% power efficiency. That's far too close for comfort. You should be using no less than a 750 Watt PSU in my opinion (900 Watts ideally), especially considering you're using an overclock as well.

Doing a little more research and reading, and I think the power supply is your primary issue. Even at 80% efficiency you're only getting 520 continuous Watts out of that PSU. Your machine is underpowered, and the use of Primocache may have been the "straw that broke the camel's back", putting just a little more stress on the RAM/CPU/PSU.

It probably only happens when you're running a GPU-intensive program that pulls a lot of power from the PSU. Time to re-evaluate your hardware build.
Pihkal
Level 1
Level 1

A

Post by Pihkal »

Hi Jaga,

thanks for your analysis.
I've retested my OC and you're right, it wasn't 100% stable, it sometimes crashed during IntelBurnInTest.
This has been resolved now and the system is surviving many hours of burn in testing without issues, the RAM was also tested (Memtestx86) for close to 24 hours and is also stable.
As for the PSU, it should be adequate for the system it's powering, granted it doesn't leave a huge amount of headroom but enough to not starve components for power.
That being said, so far I've had zero issues with PrimoCache after resolving the above mentioned issues.
Many thanks for your help.

Kind regards
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaga »

Great, glad to hear it. Keep an eye on the PSU! :)
Pihkal
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Pihkal »

Well, PrimoCache has been doing its magic flawlessly ever since we've resolved my system instability issues.
I'm pleased to say I've purchased PrimoCache, even 11 days before the trial ended.
Thanks for this excellent piece of software, it's worth every penny!

Kind regards!

A happy customer.