Delay in prefetching cache at windows boot Topic is solved

Found a bug? Report here
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Delay in prefetching cache at windows boot

Post by Jaga »

Question: Does 4.x need the command line re-entered to start prefetching immediately at boot, or did that go away with 4.x?
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Sorry, I forgot post the update on this thread. This issue has already been fixed since v3.0.9, no such command is required any more. See
https://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/pri ... gelog.html
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaga »

Thanks for the info! :thumbup:
Elrichal
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Elrichal »

The delay is actually very usefull. That way it gives me time to unlock my encrypted disks, otherwise the cache never gets loaded. Although the delay is so small that sometimes I don't get to unlock everything and then the delay times out leaving the cache unloaded.
InquiringMind
Level SS
Level SS

Post by InquiringMind »

Elrichal wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:04 pm...it gives me time to unlock my encrypted disks, otherwise the cache never gets loaded...
You may wish to reconsider the security implications of this...

If you are using pre-fetch on an encrypted volume, the pre-fetch file can provide evidence to an adversary of you having accessed that volume, undermining any "plausible deniability" defence.
Elrichal
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Elrichal »

Thank you, you are very right on that topic since the prefetch map files are kept in the boot drive (which is unencrypted in my case). I'm just encrypting my data against a physical theft but yours' a very good security tip for others who may want to go with a full security schema.
InquiringMind
Level SS
Level SS

Post by InquiringMind »

Elrichal wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:45 am ...I'm just encrypting my data against a physical theft...
In that case, there should be no problem.

I don't think the pre-fetch file is high-risk from an encrypted volume standpoint - it doesn't contain cached data, nor does it list file/foldernames (so I presume it is just block numbers). But any use of encryption does benefit from a healthy dose of paranoia. :)