L2 caching broke after Windows Update - how often does this happen Topic is solved

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
Magistar
Level 3
Level 3

L2 caching broke after Windows Update - how often does this happen

Post by Magistar »

Yesterday I started using Primo Cache as Level 2 cache. This was working as intended, I was caching e:/ (2x raid 0 hdd) to an 120 GB SSD. However yesterday evening I received a larger windows update (fall creators update) and the cache was listed as inactive.

-I was unable to resume the cache, only delete
-I was unable to add L2 cache to a new task
-I had to delete the cache partition from Primo. Then I had to remove the partition in Windows. Then I had to recreate that partition. Then I had to use that partition to create new cache partition in primo. Then I was able to create a new caching task.

Obviously this caching will only work when it stays operational for a few months. How often does it break like this?
Level 5

Re: L2 caching broke after Windows Update - how often does this happen

Post by points »

As far as I know Windows update is constantly breaking the cache. This seems to be a Windows 10 issue and might be due to the fact that an update is in fact a new install. Therfor the cache does not work anymore and has to be redone.
BonzaiDuck
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BonzaiDuck »

This is one of a few reasons I've deferred installing the fall creators update. And if I were installing such an update, I would prepare by simply deleting all caching under PrimoCache -- perhaps deleting the L2 cache volume itself. I would then restore the caching after completing the Windows update installation.

Last spring, when we endured the installation of the 1703 creator's update, I spent a week or two troubleshooting the malfunction of my dual-boot Win7/Win10 system after the update install. I finally fixed it with the Macrium restore CD.

Sooner or later, I will probably have to install the fall update, and I anticipate more unwelcome surprises with this.
Magistar
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Magistar »

points wrote:As far as I know Windows update is constantly breaking the cache. This seems to be a Windows 10 issue and might be due to the fact that an update is in fact a new install. Therfor the cache does not work anymore and has to be redone.
Hmm I am not caching my OS drive though...
BonzaiDuck
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BonzaiDuck »

Magistar wrote:
points wrote:As far as I know Windows update is constantly breaking the cache. This seems to be a Windows 10 issue and might be due to the fact that an update is in fact a new install. Therfor the cache does not work anymore and has to be redone.
Hmm I am not caching my OS drive though...
I don't think I grasped the full implications of this thread at the time of my last post to it.

I have the Pro version of Windows 10, with the "business" features allowing deferral of major feature upgrades for up to a year's time. I still get security and other upgrades that do not include "new builds" like 1703 or 1709. My system is currently upgraded flawlessly to #1703, however.

For the last several months, routine installation of these allowed updates seems to cause a single blue screen with dump file completion and orderly reboot. I suspected links to other driver conflicts, so I'd update all my drivers, which was a good thing to do anyway. When rebooting, I would find that the L2 cache contents had disappeared -- that the cache had been broken and, I suppose -- reset.

The last time it happened, I didn't even bother to delete and redefine the cache volume, nor did I recreate the cache. Instead, it just started slowly filling up again.

I was going to post these thoughts in a new thread, but this seems to be the place for them.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

When Windows 10 does the major upgrade, it will rebuild all its drivers (looks like installing a new OS). This process will remove all caching tasks and PrimoCache will think that the L2 cache content is "out of sync" and reset the content.