Cannot create L1 great than 1.5 Gb on 32 Gb system then BSOD

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
RobF99
Level 8
Level 8

Cannot create L1 great than 1.5 Gb on 32 Gb system then BSOD

Post by RobF99 »

Hello

I have been using the program for several years. Previously it worked fine and I could set up large L1 caches. For the past 2 years I have been unable to create an L1 cache greater than about 1.5 Gb. This is the error.

PrimoCache
---------------------------
Failed to start cache!

This is usually caused by insufficient system resources. You may choose a larger value for the Block Size and then try again.
---------------------------

The system has about 29 Gb available when I try this. THEN in a few seconds I get a BSOD with this error (I think a good clue is this).... IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.

I have tried larger block sizes but still always get the error. I am using 3.0.0 BUT it also happens in V2 versions.

If I setup caches with 512 Mb L1 (which I can) if I go in later and try to increase it to say 4096 Mb it accepts the entry BUT the Level-1 Cache shows as ZERO when I go back into the program. So while it doesn't give BSOD in this situation it also doesn't allow the program to use the amount of entered memory.

Attached are some images - one is system log (which doesn't show much) and the other is MSDN explanation and I think this is how the error is occurring.
PrimocacheSystemLOG.JPG
PrimocacheSystemLOG.JPG (244.81 KiB) Viewed 3544 times
BSOD.JPG
BSOD.JPG (31.05 KiB) Viewed 3544 times
Could it be a setting in BIOS?

Thanks for the help you can give on this.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Cannot create L1 great than 1.5 Gb on 32 Gb system then BSOD

Post by Support »

Could you find a minidump file for the bsod? See
https://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/kno ... -file.html

And please also send us ([email protected]) a screenshot of the configuration dialog when you create a new cache task.
Thanks.
RobF99
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RobF99 »

Ok Thank you. I sent minidump and screenshot as requested.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

We got the dump files, thank you!
We probably know why there's a blue screen following a failure of creating a cache task. The problem shall have already been fixed in our development version. However, we still have no idea on the failure of creating task. It seems that the problem is kind of related to hardware or Windows settings. We'll do more study about it.
Thanks.
RobF99
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RobF99 »

So you are sure to know about what is happening....

1. If I try to create a task with more than 1.5 to 2 Gb L1 - It cannot (then blue screen).... but there is 32Gb on machine.

2. If I have an active task created with 1 to 2 Gb and then try to increase beyond about 2 Gb I get 0 as L1 size but L2 continues to work. See screenshot. So I can only enjoy 2 Gb of L1 benefit.
Primocache1.JPG
Primocache1.JPG (106.64 KiB) Viewed 3428 times
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Yes, the blue screen might be caused by a bug. In both case 1 and case 2, PrimoCache failed to get enough memory to create the cache task. Still don't know the root cause.
RobF99
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RobF99 »

Ok. I will take a look at the BIOS and see if changing anything fixes the problem. It used to work fine and I could use all RAM as L1 then all of a sudden one day I tried to change it started giving the errors. It's just a standard Dell XPS using Windows 7 and doesn't give any other problems at all.