3.0.0(.1) Beta - Bluescreen at Login (W10)

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

3.0.0(.1) Beta - Bluescreen at Login (W10)

Post by Jaga »

Giving this information after using the current 3.0.0 Beta (Kernel 3.0.0.1) and running into a fatal error on Windows 10 that corrupted Windows core files, and Anti-virus core files. Logging in produced a critical stop, process cannot run error with a resulting bluescreen and gathering info (to 100%). Windows was inaccessable at that time.

To fix, I started in Safe Mode (minimal boot) and ran a command prompt with SFC /scannow. It found corruption in Windows core files and repaired. Rebooting after the problem still existed, so I started cleanup by removing Primocache first (with another reboot - problem still existed). Then another reboot to uninstall Bitdefender Total Security 2017. At this point Windows was accessible normally, so I did a drive scan on c: and found no problems.

My cache settings are posted in the Performance topic I made a few days ago after upgrading the machine to the 3.0.0(.1) Beta. I do have write caching turned on, but the machine is on a UPS and has had no odd behavior, everything has run normally until this event.

I can only guess that somehow the write cache was corrupted and wrote bad information back to the drive over both the core Windows files, and the Bitdefender files.

I have a copy of the CBS.log file, if you would like to review it Support. Let me know and I can email it to you.
pcuser
Level 1
Level 1

Re: 3.0.0(.1) Beta - Bluescreen at Login (W10)

Post by pcuser »

I just recovered from a similar seeming-corruption issue with 3 Beta.

My System drive was never cached, but my other drives were, with a L2 SSD and memory.

I encountered several green screens (running Insider Fast builds), especially when resuming from sleep, which may be connected to the issue of eventually not being able to log on due to a missing logon tile (i.e. no picture to punch a pin in below).

Reinstalling Windows (* auto upgrading to the latest insider build) seems to have rectified this, but any other combination of CHKDSK and SFC didn't help.

I hadn't seen similar issues before installing PrimoCache.