(NOOB) Trying to figure out how to setup SSD caching for my HDD[Solved]

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
Aesyir
Level 2
Level 2

(NOOB) Trying to figure out how to setup SSD caching for my HDD[Solved]

Post by Aesyir »

Hello I was wondering if I could get some clarification on how this stuff works, what I want to do is use a small ssd partition to help speed up my hdd to improve loading times in some of my games and just overall performance on that drive. Most of it was making sense to me until I got the cache configuration. I saw the option to use OS managed memory, is it worth using this to speed up my hdd when I am already using L2 (my ssd partition) to speed up my hdd? I then saw Defer-Write and from what I heard it is a decent performance boost at the cost of memory loss and to be honest I have no super crirtical data on my drive and I still run backups so I wouldn't mind using it but it seems its only an option when you use os managed memory. One last question would like 1.5gb be ok for os managed memory if I decide to use this? Thank you for your time, any help is greatly appreciated :D

this is what I'm currently using

EDIT: I increased the L2 to 16Gb , that's the maximum I'm gonna make it.
Last edited by Aesyir on Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: (NOOB) Trying to figure out how to setup SSD caching for my HDD

Post by Support »

In 2.x version, Only L1 Cache supports Defer-Write. So you have to set up L1 cache if you want to use Defer-Write. 1~1.5GB is ok if you don't have much physical memory installed.
BTW, if you use 3.0 version, you'll see more flexible options for cache settings. See
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=4395
Aesyir
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Aesyir »

Oh I didn't know there was a new version. I'm inferring from what you said that defer-write was possible with l2 only in 3.0 but I don't see it still. Now I have decided to set 1.5gigs of mem for l1 and 16gb for l2 with defer-write (5 min latency). Is this good or is there a better route I could go?
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

In the level-1/level-2 cache advanced settings, you can specify the ratio of read/write space. If the option "Individual..." is not checked or write cache space is specified, the level-1/level-2 cache is allowed for caching write-data and defer-write.

I think your cache configuration is a good start to go.
Aesyir
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Aesyir »

So when using l1 cache does the l2 get used when l1 is full?
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Aesyir wrote:So when using l1 cache does the l2 get used when l1 is full?
What's your advanced settings in L1 and L2 cache?

I suggest that you use L1 for defer-write, and L2 for reading cache. If you have heavy write activities on HDD and level-1 cache is not enough, you may specify certain L2 cache for defer-write.
Aesyir
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Aesyir »

I left them at default. How do I do what you are suggesting? Sorry I'm still a little unsure how to use it properly haha.
EDIT: do I just need to adjust the sliders? I don't think I would have heavy write activities going on I just install some programs and games to this disk.
Ok so I moved the slider on l1 to 100% write and the l2 was already set to 100% read, I think I did it :lol: .
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Well, the default settings is ok. It's also no problem if you set L1 for 100% write cache. PrimoCache is flexible, and you can tune it later based on your computer usage scenarios and caching statistics.
Aesyir
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Aesyir »

Well does setting l1 to 100% write and l2 to 100% read accomplish what u were suggesting where l1 is for defer write and l2 is for reading cache?
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

yes.

There's another configuration that might also fit for your scenario. Uncheck the option "Individual..." in the L1 advanced settings. This makes L1 can cache for both read-data and write-data, using shared space. Keep 100% read space for L2.