VERY slow boot after fast shutdown with kept L1

Found a bug? Report here
rutra80
Level 5
Level 5

VERY slow boot after fast shutdown with kept L1

Post by rutra80 »

It isn't "a lot to load" slow, there is something wrong with interrupts, context switching or something like that - even Windows 10 rotating circle loading animation plays in slow motion for several minutes, then it comes back to normal speed and boot proceeds at normal rate.
InquiringMind
Level SS
Level SS

Re: VERY slow boot after fast shutdown with kept L1

Post by InquiringMind »

If you are using "fast startup", then have you tried disabling it to see if that makes any difference?
rutra80
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rutra80 »

Without fast startup or without keeping L1 content everything is fine.
InquiringMind
Level SS
Level SS

Post by InquiringMind »

Win 10's fast startup works by saving loaded device drivers to disk on shutdown (and reloading them on startup) rather like hibernation. However with stored L1 content, PrimoCache has to load this first before allowing any other devices to initialise and this may be causing a conflict with other drivers.

If you're happy disabling either fast start or stored-L1 as a workaround, then go for it. Otherwise, if you want to try to find the root cause, I'd suggest disabling devices in Device Manager (use View/Show Hidden Devices to get a full list) in groups to see if you can identify which ones seem to cause the conflict. This will likely involve a lot of effort, but could help support in putting together a fix.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

When you enable "Kept L1", PrimoCache won't release L1 cache on fast shutdown and Windows then will save L1 cache contents which are in RAM to disk. This saving process will increase shutdown time. During the boot phase, Windows will load L1 cache from disk to RAM, which also increases boot time.
rutra80
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rutra80 »

Yes but as I said it isn't slow because it has a lot to load, it is slow because computer/system/loading itself gets slowed down. For example, without L1 kept it loads 1GB with speed 100MB/s which takes 10 seconds, with L1 kept it loads 4GB with 10MB/s speed which takes 7 minutes. As I said, system is so hogged that even Windows loading animation moves in slow motion (1/4 of normal speed at most).
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Well, because L1 cache is natively stored in the memory, PrimoCache doesn't need to do anything and Windows will automatically save/load these data. So the loading process is completely managed by Windows and PrimoCache isn't involved in this process. I have no idea why it takes so long in your computer. We checked several computers and don't see this problem.
rutra80
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rutra80 »

Maybe PrimoCache driver somehow interferes with resume process?
It's a NUMA system with triple channel memory, two Xeons E5620, RAID0 etc.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Well, we'll have some optimizations for NUMA systems in 3.x versions which might help solve this problem. I'll keep you informed when we have the update. Thanks.